Find
Notify
Tools

Got a Lathe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted
All right after a year of Machine classes at the local college and will be taking some summer NRA classes in a few weeks. I felt it was time to get a lathe to start doing some work at home.

I purchased a Sheldon ES-70-P (11" swing, 48" center to center) Made in 1972 for $750 with a KDK tool post and 3-Jaw Buck chuck, Rohm 4-jaw chuck. Her are some pictures:

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good deal! Looks like it is in good shape, too.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You made a good buy!!! I have owned a Sheldon and it was one of the best all around lathes for gun barrel work. Mine was a 36 in. bed.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
great... be careful, too!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Just curious, how big is the spindle bore?

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was 1 3/8 in dia. or larger. Make a four screw spider for the tail end of the spindle and you are ready to go.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
If you don't already have it on hand get some way lube and some medium and light spindle oil.

Those machines need good oil to run good.
Other then that you made out like a bandit tu2 tu2

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
I have measured the spindle bore and it is 1 3/8". Also cleaned up the 3-jaw chuck and it is a 6" Buck and I believe it is an Adjust-Tru.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That's an even better deal. The chucks alone are worth what you paid for the whole machine.

An adjust thru chuck if you don't know has four set screws on the diameter of the chuck near the back mounting plate cap screw going from the front face to the mounting plate.

For those that don't know what a set thru chuck is. This allows you to use a three jaw in a similar fashion to a four jaw chuck. Meaning that the four screws around the diameter give you a little bit of adjustment to recenter the chuck or the part in relation the the spindle axis. Typically it's only used to dial in that last thousandth or two. to get the part or chuck perfectly centered.

Thats a great chuck even if it's not a set through.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
You got a good deal on the machine. Heck my last machine cost more than $750 just for the shipping. Set tru chucks are the only way to go. I dont know about a 6" chuck but my 14" will allow me to dial in about .008

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote