New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ottmar Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took delivery of the (last) Ottmar Rifle this morning.

Oh My!

... sigh ...

(speechless ... as others have been who've seen it including the guys at Douglas)

... sigh ...

What do you say? The previous pictures have been pretty, but can't convey the grace and understated elegance that resulted from the contribution of so many very skilled hands and hearts!

Especially in the Spring sun, the rifle is simple beyond words.

This one will go to my youngest son with the understanding that it eventually go to my first grandchild (who is an adopted Peruvian and that seems appropriate for a 1909 Oberndorf Peruvian Mauser).

When I can get my mind around actually owning such a treasure I'll post some more pictures taken in the sunlight and when I get the documentation I'll send letters of thanks to the contributors. Their kindness in contributing to the work is very, very much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

(For newcomers, here are some links:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/961105157/p/1

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=529106383#529106383

The Guild Members that so kindly contributed their work to the project were:

Stocking Chic Worthing
Checkering Gary Goudy
Scope bases Marc Stratton
Safety Jim Wisner
Fitting safety Jim Dubell
Release lever Jim Dubell
Hinged floorplate Jim Dubell
Trigger Ted Blackburn
Bottom metal Maurice Ottmar
Engraving Roger Kehr
Bluing Chic Worthing (with Maurice's Gun Goddess)

The scope was provided by Leupold and Steven's
Talley Rings were provided by Gary Turner, Talley Manufacturing

The work done by these folks on the Ottmar Rifle is simply exquisite!

Chic tells me that the rifle as been registered as an official American Custom Gunmaker's Guild rifle. In addition, it has been photographed for next year's Gun Digest.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mike. It's good to know the rifle found a good and appreciative home. I hope the rifle faithfully serves many generations of the Starling family.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Congratulations Mike. It's good to know the rifle found a good and appreciative home. I hope the rifle faithfully serves many generations of the Starling family.

You're just jealous. I can read it in the tone of your post.

Me too clap I even called Chic and told him so.

mstarling, congrats on the win! It sounds like you've got plans for the next 100yrs for that wonderful rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My wife and I made the pilgrimage to Mike's house tonite and we both got to hold the most attractive little rifle I've ever seen. thumb

All the parties who had a hand in the assembly of this rifle should be proud of what they have accomplished. The wood for the stock fits like it grew around the action and barrel, the metal work is flawless the checkering and engraving truely complement the graceful lines of the rifle. And did I mention the wood is quite striking?

Mike is proud of his new rifle for good reason.

beer

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike: I got a glimpse of your new rifle at Dan's store (he was checking it in), & the thought crossed my mind to grab it from Dan, shoot him with it, & then secretly steal it away home with me. But if I'd been caught, well, you know what would have happened then ....... it's a superb piece !!! FRANK

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

It's a good thing you didn't do that Wink Was a small problem with the rifle ... Chic had forgotten to install the follower and spring in it. So it was kinda of a pretty ornament about the time you got to see it! A one round wonder if you will.

(Chic was terribly embarrassed to find it on the bench! Is all together now.)

The wood is just astonishing when seen in sunlight. Chic's gorgeous work really comes alive then!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Kudos on getting an awesome rifle!!!

Don