Find
Notify
Tools

Case STUCK in sizing die!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,

The rim failed on a case as I was sizing it. What is the best, easiest, most practical way to remove the case?

I have tried some but do not want to damage the die.

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Depends on the make. For a Lee, just pound it out using the decapping rod.
For most everything else you have to drill and tap the case head and pull it out with a screw and cap extractor.
Use more lube next time. Not too much.
Or the die makers will remove them but it costs you postage.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
RCBS Stuck Case Remover

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've had luck getting cases out of other folks dies just by using my Co-ax press. But the RCBS tool is well worth it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Drill right thru the primer pocket into the case and run a 1/4" NC tap through. Must use the course thread on brass and not fine thread. Use a nut or length of pipe that will go over the case head and rest on the die mouth allowing a 1/4" clearance for the case to pull up into. A suitable washer on a 1/4" NC bolt, screw into the case and it will pull out with no effort or damage to the die.
Then get some Imperial Wax sizing lube and use that, you'll never have another stuck case.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Drill right thru the primer pocket into the case and run a 1/4" NC tap through. Must use the course thread on brass and not fine thread. Use a nut or length of pipe that will go over the case head and rest on the die mouth rest on the die mouth allowing a 1/4" clearance for the case to pull up into. A suitable washer on a 1/4" NC bolt, screw into the case and it will pull out with no effort or damage to the die.
Then get some Imperial Wax sizing lube and use that, you'll never have another stuck case.

That's my method. I just use a 9/16 socket to go over the case head.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am reading this correctly the OP is stating that the case head separated from the case leaving the headless case stuck in the die which renders the case removers mentioned inadequate for the task.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375sunrise:
If I am reading this correctly the OP is stating that the case head separated from the case leaving the headless case stuck in the die which renders the case removers mentioned inadequate for the task.

He said the rim failed, nothing about case head separation.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I too read rim not case head. Would be simple enough to get a stuck headless case out of a die though. Turn the die upside down in the press, lube a small screw driver and tap it in between the case and die wall to slightly crush the thin case wall, the case would fall out. A die is hard enough to not be damaged.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive use the same old RCBS stuck case remover for umpteen years with success and its not complicated as to set up etc..

I recall using my torch and heating the die until the case just fell out and it didn't damage the die..something I read somewhere and tried it, and it worked, that was back in the day some 40 plus years ago..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
next time this happens to me, i think i am going to DnT a zerk fitting and pump it with grease .. had thought about an air fitting, just a schredar valve, then i recalled the last time i tried air on a brake caliper ... so, no...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive use the same old RCBS stuck case remover for umpteen years with success and its not complicated as to set up etc..

I recall using my torch and heating the die until the case just fell out and it didn't damage the die..something I read somewhere and tried it, and it worked, that was back in the day some 40 plus years ago..

I've done this a few times myself, but the last time, it pulled the head off the case and now there is no way that i know (other than maybe a reamer) to get whats left out of the die.

I just bought another die. the ruined die sits on my bench as a reminder not to be stupid and lube sufficiently.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of tricky but, if you select a tap with a diameter smaller than the body of the case and run it into the headless case you will be able to tap it out from the top

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Frank,
there is another way ..

find a 3" bolt that will just partially go in the case, and get a nut and a washer for it.

tap the case for the bolt

soak in [insert your favorite alternative to brake fluid/kroil here] over night

run the nut up to the bolt head and then slip the washer on

turn the bolt into the case, it just needs 3-5 thread engagement

take two wrenches, hold the bolt head, and after hand tightening, SLOWLY turn the nut, and i mean slowly -- it won't take much to pop the case out ...

it's using the Archemdies screw as a jack

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff! It's pretty far down on my priority list, but as I get time I'll give it a shot!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote