Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

luxuswalnut.com
 Login/Join

posted
I found this website. They have some pretty wood. Does anyone know anything about them?

Hunt1

Posts: 12 | Location: RALEIGH NC | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the website. Looks like they have a few nice sticks, but never done any buisness with them.

You don't get off that easy though. You have to tell us which one so we can all critique your choice roflmao

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
IMO expensive, overgraded, several not well layed out, quite a few "one sided" too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like AER15 under California walnut exhibition grade. For pure looks I like TC8 under turkish presentation grade.

OK, now you can critique my choices.

Hunt1

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Both are reasonably nice but a little pricey for what they are IMO. AER15 doesn't have that much figure or contrast for the price, the grain flow through the wrist and forend on TC8 isn't particularly straight otherwise it is a pretty blank, should be for $1100.

I just bought this English blank from AntlersExpress (ebay) for $203:

For Turkish, I would buy from Chiron (http://www.hunterbid.com) or Denli (http://www.denli.ch).

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Just kidding about the critique part, although I agree with fla3006 completely.

I've bought a few pieces from Mr. Denli and think I got some nice wood from him.

Here is the last piece I bought

It's about in the same price range you're looking at.

Terry

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

What do you think of BBER under presention grade California walnut. Is that a nice blank, or just an oddity?

Who do you recomend for California walnut?

Hunt1

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It would make a pretty stock but the grain runs many different ways. $1200 is too much IMHO. For California English I would contact Preslik's, Rimrock, Jim Turner, Heritage Walnut, or some others around Chico, CA. Lots of folks like Paul Dressel (http://www.dressels.com).

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like AER15 under California walnut exhibition grade. For pure looks I like TC8 under turkish presentation grade.

I must be getting blind since I can't find either of those blanks.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ramrod,
This is an old thread that someone brought back up.
Both of those blanks have sold long ago.
here is a couple images of TC-8.
Both sides were a very nice match.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The rather blatant advertising is becoming tiresome. If you want to advertise, go somewhere else please. Dr. Dozier sends with a rather disappointed attitude as to the policing of this site. Enuff for me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
safari1976 is doing his own thing.

I am just answering questions.
And it was someone else that brought this old thread back up. I tried to put this thread back to bed so to speak by stating that this was in fact an old thread.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What, the man can't answer a question because he owns the company?

I don't have a problem with it.

Terry

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is an old thread that someone brought back up

Yep I am blind. I needed to read the date the thread was posting. homer

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
What, the man can't answer a question because he owns the company?

I don't have a problem with it.

Terry

Thanks Terry.

Adam

posted Hide Post
I waas referring to your other posting concerning a sale by your company.Your advice and expertise is welcome, your advertising of a sale is not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
john,
you posted it here...

Point taken, however, the reason for me posting that is simply because of the constant posting about walnut in this "Gunsmithing" area.

And, more important than that i do not step on anyone elses thread with my experience or any attempt to sell anything. If i am asked i will respond.
I started that new thread to inform AR guys that they have an alternative to buy good wood from another source than those mentioned.
It especially bothers me to see my fellow gun builders buying wood for a price that is too high. That is one of the biggest reasons we started Luxus.

No hard feelings. I also posted it in the classifieds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have had metalsmiths with interesting custom bases basically advertising in here. Montana Actions used these forums to sell their actions and were welcomed with open arms. I welcome the information on a wood sale by a stock supplier. If it hurts your sensiblities, then you can always pass it by. I welcome the notice of a sale, I do not speak for everyone but then neither does John who has made all of 4 posts since registering over 18 months ago.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I just went to your sight.

NOT FOR SALE!

You know this is a sin don't you?
You need to sell it or build a rifle with it! What a beutiful piece of wood.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic, Thanks. It seems that when i answer a question of us or wood on an old thread someone brought back up it is wrong.

TC1, they are pretty, and thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam,
Some people end up with too much coffee in the morning and get set off over nothing. Glad to have you here.

BTW, if someone comes into your shop armed and demands those two blanks and they happen to look like myself and Terry, it is probably our evil twins. You will need to hand over that wood as they are the type that would kill for those blanks. Terry and I, on the other hand, are very law abiding citizens. Well I am, Terry can get a bit out of hand at times. Wink

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Crap! Roll Eyes I had been looking at that picture as both sides of the same blank. Not a perfectly matched pair. I really do need to get my glasses fixed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have had metalsmiths with interesting custom bases basically advertising in here. Montana Actions used these forums to sell their actions and were welcomed with open arms. I welcome the information on a wood sale by a stock supplier. If it hurts your sensiblities, then you can always pass it by. I welcome the notice of a sale, I do not speak for everyone but then neither does John who has made all of 4 posts since registering over 18 months ago.

I ACTUALLY WISH WE HAD A FEW MORE DEALERS HERE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to all,
My apologies if someone has been offended, believe me, that was not our intentions.

The truth is this....WE ARE GUN NUTS. I mean certifiable junkies about rifles and shotguns. Maybe some pistols, but not a lot. Seriously, we are just the same as you. We get very excited about nice wood and wish to share what we have found. We started Luxus out of a love for guns and fine wood........not to try to make money. Talk to guys that have dealt with us. I probably spend more time on the phone with guys talking about their guns and sometimes mine than i do talking about what wood they want.

I don't know any of the guys that use "names" or call signs on here. Some guys posted comments about us and about wood we sell, some were on old threads....thats all. I do not know them or what they bought, but they seem happy enough to mention us and i was just responding to them.

The best to all you guys, even those that have shot back.

Adam

As for those TWO matching rifle blanks.....Man, that is some of the finest i have ever seen. They are remarkable. It may be a sin not to turn them into a couple rifles but then again, i almost hate to see them cut up!!!

all the best...

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Adam,

Post away! I enjoy reading all I can about guns and sop stuff like this up like a bisquit in gravy. You're not bothering me in the least.

Do stick around...

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two pieces of wood from Luxus at the Reno show. One went on the butt of a WJ Jefferey 470NE, the other is the handle for a 325 WSM I have just completed. I will try to post a pix here and on the Gusnsmith site shortly.

I feel I got some damn nice wood for a damn good price. It is a good thing Customstox wasn't there or he would have stolen it from like he did one other time.

beer

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex,
Thanks. i will answer questions but the 90% discount we were planning for AR i am going to hold off on!
haha

Jim,
Thanks to you as well. Clay said he remembered you very well. Said you bought two "TR" blanks. By the way, those are blanks that came from the area known for 'Circassian' walnut. Very nice blanks all of them. Very hard wood with some great colors and many had vivid fiddleback.
Please send us some photos of the stocks so that we may post them on our site, if you do not mind doing so. Before and after photos of your guns would be nice. We have a large data base of photos of the blanks we have owned, i may be able to find the pictures of your blanks before they were turned.

Looking forward to seeing your guns.

One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
AFREEMAN: Keep posting, I like the info you put on this forum. And I don't like it when people try to tell what you can and can't say.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
obwhan,
I will...and thanks.

I have been reading some of the interesting comments about wood/gunstocks here on AR. I did some searches on key words.

I would like to ad something that i have noticed. Now i am fully aware that there are some qualified experts here and certainly there are people who know more than me here...but my partners in Luxus and myself have been neck deep in soft-shelled walnut dust for some time, we have learned some things. We are your basic garden variety wood junky. I look at termites with sympathy!

What i want to discuss is about grainflow. ((Man i hope i am not opening a can of worms)), but you guys seem like a great bunch so i cannot help myself.
I see some people talk about quarter-sawn, but rarely and perhaps not at all have i seen any comments about any other cuts. Some guys don't like other cuts. But i have seen the biggest snot-knockers built on flat-sawn blanks. When you look at the blank side on it can appear to have bad grainflow, but the grain on the top, the rear and sometimes the bottom is good and straight.

I understand that a LOT of us here on AR are big bore fans. My point is that...and this is for those that do not know what i am about to say.....flat sawn blanks can appear to have bad grainflow, when in fact, they are great blanks, and are suitable for anything a quarter-sawn blank is used on. Chic, and who ever else knows what i am talking about...chime in. I would rather talk about building guns and turning wood than anything else....

So there you go.

comments and questions welcome................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
something else about a flat sawn blank........they can EXPLODE with figure. they are the blanks that "wake-up" and can be a real sleeper.

I have some great examples that i can post pictures of before and after. Some of them are shocking. They are the funnest to turn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression, maybe mistakenly, that flat sawn wood had more of a tendency to warp than did quarter sawn wood. Please correct me if my impression is incorrect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not a matter of warping but one of "cupping". It is true that wood can cup and it can warp. However, i have seen the same from laminates and synthetics.
It is my belief that the density of the wood greatly effects whether or not it is prone to movement at all. I have run some tests with blocks of wood of various lengths. I have left them outside for nearly three years now....no finish applied and various degrees of figure. Quarter-sawn and flat-sawn and other cuts between the two. Claro walnut and California-English walnut and Turkish Walnut, even Maple. They have all turned silver. The results are interesting.
But back to your statement. I am personally using a flat-sawn blank on a gun i plan on taking to Alaska and then on other hunts where weather can be an issue. I am not worried about movement. In fact i have other rifles that have flat sawn stocks. It is not that i don't like quarter-sawn, i do, but i do not place it high on the list of prerequisites for me to use a blank on one of my guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a question I have been wanting to ask for quite a while and thought maybe someone else would break the ice and I would not have to show my ignorance. Well, no one ever asked it, so I must. What is quartersawed and what is flatsawed wood. What is the difference between the two? Also, what part of the tree does the best rifle stock wood come from? Thanks ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57mm:
Have a question I have been wanting to ask for quite a while and thought maybe someone else would break the ice and I would not have to show my ignorance. Well, no one ever asked it, so I must. What is quartersawed and what is flatsawed wood. What is the difference between the two? Also, what part of the tree does the best rifle stock wood come from? Thanks ... Tom Purdom

In this case a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here goes,

Slab sawn

Example

quarter sawn

Example

Notice how much tighter and uniform the grain is on the quarter sawn wood flooring.

Terry

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I've cut several of luxus.com blanks while on the job. Had no issues. Good stuff.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
http://www.stuarts.net/Stuwritup/quarter/quartersawn.htm

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AFreeman; please, more pics and info, its how we learn. Now, if you would, TC-8, approximately what would be the cost on a this type of blank..inquiring minds want to know.
I have this dream, the two 1917 rifles I have, both in .35 Whelan, matching stocks (close as you can get) that I can pass down to my two grandsons...so How much would a similar blank cost.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quartersawn in my preference, whenever possible.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the prediction of % change in wood with equalibrium moisture content driven by relative humidity, per tangential, radial, and longitudonal directions, per each wood species listed, read

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, Sorry i have not been on this thread in a while. Busy planning wood.
TC1,
The two diagrams you show are correct, however the top diagram is the way most all of tthe industry cuts trees for gunstocks. That cut provides both quarter-sawn and slab or flat sawn. The first cuts are flat, the middle is quarter then back to flat again.

Lost Oki,
Thanks, here are a few photos for you. This is a Flat sawn blank.

Very nice blank but perhaps nothing you would get very excited about. Now, if this were a quarter-sawn blank what you see is pretty much what you would get when turned, baring a few minor changes due to character of wood.

Here it is turned...