New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan stock...style question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be ordering a McMillan stock for my M70 tomorrow. Hill Country is doing some custom work for me. My question is which stock to get, since I am left handed and my choices are very limited.
I am trying to decide between the Supergrade or the Classic, the only difference seems to be that the Supergrade has a cheekpiece and checkering, and the classic is plain
Are there any other differences that you know of?
I will be using a scope and a #4 barrel.
Thanks!!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Order the one you like, ask them when you call what sytles are available left handed.

Maybe they are working on something new in M70 for left hand.

They have strange stuff all the time. I recommend you ask what they could do before you take what they have in stock.

I like the thumbhole Lazz stock, but they don't make it for the action I want. So I ask the question and "yes we could do that for another $50-80".

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,
Thanks for the response!! I like the simplicity of the plain Classic, but since I will be using a scope, I am wondering if the cheek piece will be more suitable for scope height....does the cheek piece matter in this regard?
Hey piason....what are you doing in Italy??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

I currently have two HCR McMillans, one on a .30-06 (Edge) on on a .300 Weatherby (regular fill) with four more currently on order. All of mine are the "Bridges" style. If they offer it in left-handed this stock is a jewel. I have pics if you'd like a view. PM with an e-mail addy.
Doug

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman,
I sent you a PM

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
Last time I checked (about a year ago), HCR did NOT offer the "Bridges" style Mickey stock in left hand. I went with an Edge .... no regrets there.

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer my stocks more slender in profile than the standard McMillan Winchester styles. Matt at HRC turned me on to McMillan's "Sako Classic" style several years ago (McMillan just inlets the "Sako" pattern for Winchester metal). I have one on a .300 Wby (I had purchased the rifle from HRC with a standard McMillan stock and was looking for something less blocky) and one on a .257 Rbts (Edge). These have cheekpieces and the usual checkering. I would describe them as half-way between the Remington Mountain Rifle profile and McMillan's standard Winchester models. Don't know if they make them in LH, but you might consider if this appeals to you. good luck.

Posts: 231 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texan,
So ironic to read your post, since I JUST got off the phone with Matt and he sugessted the same thing!
I ordered the supergrade stock from him, since he didn't really like the classic.
thanks

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:

Hey piason....what are you doing in Italy??

Working for Uncle Sam! What is a piason anyway?

I have zero Italian in me, and I don't want any so don't ask! dancing

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey D,
Paison is a term of endearment between people from the same country....almost like saying "OK, cousin".
BTW, you look "cute" in your avitar, but a bit too masculine for me!!
Take Care!

one of us
posted Hide Post
What LH McMillan "classic" for a Model 70 are you referring to?

Where it me, I'd opt the compact pattern in eigther fiberglass or graphite depending on your weight target. I prefer it to the supergrade.

Chuck

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
I am refering to the Classic that Win used for the Winlite. It is plain with no c-piece or checkering