New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help or advice needed!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The rifle is a Remington 700 in .416 Rem Mag. "My" research tells me it is from the Remington Custom Shop. Phone calls, e-mails and snail mail to the Remington Custom Shop have gone unanswered.

The rifle was purchased used on Arbay with the caveat that the floorplate would open unexpectedly upon firing. I replaced that with one from PTG, problem solved.

Then I had the chance to go elephant hunting. About 200 rounds of practice with no hint of a problem.

It was only while taking my first elephant that the issue surfaced. When I cycled the bolt there was a jamb, did not think too much of it, thought I was too excited(understatement). The next day in camp I sat down to see if I could figure out what happened. For some reason the rifle decided that now was the time to act up every bolt cycle.

What happens- at each bolt cycle as the cartridge is clearing the feed rails the cartridge head hops and the bolt slides underneath the cartridge. Every single time, no matter how you work the bolt.

I have no realtionship with a gunsmith, I have had a few bad times with some. A year or more with the work never completed.

I did have a very good experience with a hobbyist from AR, but he is no longer around.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Keith

P.S. This is one sweet shooting rifle so I want to keep it!!

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
replace the mag spring

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would it be that easy? Just replacing the spring.

Dulcinea

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rear end of the cartridge is coming up too soon. Check the mag spring to see if it is installed backwards. Then, I would look at the feed rails. Perhaps someone has been at work with a Dremel "improving" things.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Does this happen with only one round in the box or when full?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I will check the spring. I guess backwards would be upside down? I did have that apart for cleaning.

I did examine the feed rails with a magnifying glass, no sign of any grinding. Remember it started this after about 200rds by me.

One round or a full mag, happens either way.

Dulcinea

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
What happened between the 200 rounds of practice and the hunt? Did you have it apart between these two events? This is typically what happens when the mag box is not seated correctly.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
backwards mag spring will definitely "F" things up. I've fixed this for my friends before. As are the guys they get their Mauser bolt shroud turned out and/or cock-eyed.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
backwards mag spring will definitely "F" things up. I've fixed this for my friends before. As are the guys they get their Mauser bolt shroud turned out and/or cock-eyed.

I don't believe I have ever seen a mag spring installed backwards on a 700.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,

Yes the magazine box was off for cleaning a week before leaving. About a dozen shots after to check zero here and then there. They were all single shots.

Dulcinea

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You would have had to feed rounds from the magazine in order to have caught the problem before going into the field. You would have noticed nothing single feeding cartridges directly into the chamber from the top. An out of position mag box will cause the problem you describe, look there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than solving the feed issue is there another way I can tell if the mag box is in correctly?

Dulcinea

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulcinea:
Other than solving the feed issue is there another way I can tell if the mag box is in correctly?

Dulcinea

Yes, the BDL bottom metal is machined to accept the bottom of the magazine box. Pull it apart and look it over. Set the magazine box in it to see how it fits. When reassembling the rifle, make sure that the upper part of the box is seated in the receiver, and that the bottom of the box is sitting in this cut when you tighten the guard screws. If either end is out of place, stop and do again. Remove the firing pin from the bolt, load the magazine and cycle your ammo through the gun. After you have confirmed that the gun functions like it should, then assemble the bolt and go hunting. Do this every time you take the gun apart.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,

Thanks, I will get to the rifle in a day or two. I know that the mag box is touchy about how it goes together.
I will let you know how I make out!

Dulcinea