New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchase dilemma
 Login/Join

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
Ok, so I have a couple hundred coming in a few days. Plan was to use it to purchase a scope for my Ruger 77 in 260 (12x Burris is too much scope for this gun. But now a dilemma has arisen. I also have developed and interest in build myself a mauser(have one rifle plus another action).

Should I:
a) Go through with the scope purchase
b) Buy parts/tools to build up the mauser
c) Invest in new reloading gear and mauser parts/tools

I am see-sawing back and forth. Scope I am looking at is a Weaver T6 ($199 at Natchez).

I work for a Manufacturing plant and have access to a lathe, mill, etc. And I know how to use them, though I have never chambered a barrel before.

Help me decide guys!

Thanks,

CAL

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Build the Mauser. You can always buy a scope later .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Swap the scope with someone who want to up their magnification, and go build yourself a mauser...

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbogo375:
Build the Mauser. You can always buy a scope later .

Jim

WERY WELL SAID, buy a book (the mauser bolt actions by Jerry Kuhnhausen) and go for it

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
WERY WELL SAID, buy a book (the mauser bolt actions by Jerry Kuhnhausen) and go for it

I already have the Kuhnhausen book. It is rapidly becoming "well-thumbed". I have been planning the mauser for about a year now, building the tooling when time permits (via drawings included with R.A. Walsh's book). It is the barrel that is going to be the major expenditure. I'd prefer not to skimp.

The 260 was doing fine with an age-old Weaver V9 until I got sloppy and knocked it over-broke the rear lens.

Guess I have too many irons in the fire right now- I need to prioritize.

Thanks,

CAL

<hd352802>
posted
Cal, as mentioned before: build the Mauser, buy a scope later. I am planning to do so myself.
Hugh.

<Elliot Viker>
posted
Cal, build the mauser. I live in Hillsboro, ND and have under taken the same path as you. There is a show in Fargo on Jan 5 or 6 and there are several people there that you can talk to for advice on how to get started. Mark Vetter and Duain Spooner come to mind, as do others that slip my mind at this time. If you go the short chamber rout, and then rent a reamer to hand ream, or the back to barrel steel removal rout, I am shure that you can do thses things if you have worked around laith equipment. Now a 35 Whelen improved on your action sounds just about right.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Cal,

Build the Mauser by the time your done one if us will have a scope we don't need and you can take it off our hands cheap.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner