Find
Notify
Tools

"Reno Accounting" Matched Pair
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ready On The Right
posted Hide Post
I can't stop drooling long enough to type!

I put a link over on the Campfire to share these beauties...

I am amazed at what can be done with steel, wood and competent hands..

Mike

Posts: 86 | Location: GA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Beautiful...absolutely beautiful works of art!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Billy,
Know how you feel. I WAS feeling good about how the #1 is looking. Damn. Big Grin
I'll just beer
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb Way beyond beautiful! thumb

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Man, what a pair of materpieces! almost as nice as the "pair" on Fjold's little movie leader Smiler jorge

Nope, they are better and more durable, 25 years will prove that point.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess this will lay to rest the arguement that standard Mauser actions should not be modified to accommodate the longer H&H magnum length cases. These are truely nice weapons.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:

Could you explain to me the reason for going with that type of scope ring setup? What does mounting the claws on the barrel rather than the action and putting the scope on the bell do differently for the fucntion/accuracy?

Red

The claw mount system you see on these guns allow the scope to be removed in less than five seconds without looking down at the rifle. All that's required is grasping the rear of the scope with the right hand and pushing the thumb button on the side of the squarebridge while lifting up on the scope. The scope rotates upward on the front ring that is attached into the "foot" that is dovetailed into the quarter-rib. Re-attaching the scope takes just a few seconds longer with a glance to get the front ring lined up.

The front ring is out on the bell of the scope because its the pivot point for the scope. If the attachment point was on the front ring of the action, the scope couldn't rotate upward enough to detach without the front bell hitting the barrel.

Done right, the scope locks up like a bank vault and the return to zero is perfect. On a big gun, I've had the scope on and off a rifle several times over the course of an hour long stalk on buffalo in thick jess. It sure is handy. It is a lot less important on the light rifle, but this was supposed to be a matched-pair so what choice did I have?? Smiler

Now that I've figured out how to take decent pictures, I'll try to photograph some other rifles. There's been a lot of talk recently about G.33/40's. I have a few examples of what can be done with the actions.

Rusty, I'll be ready for the range as soon as it dips below 95 outside.

Thanks, to everyone for the comments. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I do.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, those are beyond gorgeous. I'll second Rusty and suggest we find a time out at Bayou Rifles. I'm a member also and we can have a guest get together. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
just want to keep these up at the top of the thread for a while longer...

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn fine, just doesn't get any better.

Do you sleep in the gun safe with them or does the wife sleep on the floor and the rifles in the bed.Very beautiful!

Nice doesn't mean weak.

Posts: 74 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

If I give you a budget, can you have rifles like that built for me too?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Forrest,

If I give you a budget, can you have rifles like that built for me too?

If you have a budget, I can't help you.

If you have a BUDGET, then you can have one built.

If you have a BUDGET, then you can buy these from me.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
The rifles are an elegant work of art.. They are the most magnificent rifles I've ever seen.
Thank you for sharing them with us.
Your photography is equal to the rifles too.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
I would also like to see some more photos of your gun collection. Could you show us some photos of your 416 and give us the recipe.

I didn't really know that I wanted a true high end custom gun until all of this started! thumb

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
ForrestB does have some magnificent rifles. My favorite rifle of his that I have seen is his G33-40. The 416 is a "killer" too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bravo! Magnifico! beer

My God, those rifles are gorgeous!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Only problem is that they make mine look, well, not so nice. Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which variety of Walnut is your matched pair, and how much might one pay for such a blank?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
CO Matt, those are California English blanks that I purchased from Steve Heilmann. I paid about $625 each. I think they have a nice layout and enough figure to make them interesting without being the focal point of the rifle; that's pretty much all I want in a blank nowadays.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Comparison...

Pattern examination

Forest, Im surveyin, measurein, and stakin. Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there the best looking rifles I have ever seen to date !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Heilman trap-door grip cap? If not, from who?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB
As I look at the pictures of your rifles for the second time I must say, they are some of tghe best looking Bolt Rifle tyrash I have ever seen. thumb Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

As a matter of my education, how about a PM with the approximate cost of this exquisite project pair? I'm very curious even though I suspect it's way beyond my means!

Thank you very much.

mike starling

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Lord if rifles like that were common everyone on these boards would be a pauper on the streets. Those are just absolutly beautiful. The metal work and stock fit and finish are the limit of what our simple language can express. Just wonderful.
Excuse me while I take a moment.

Jeez that was good.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Ralf Martini did the barrels, including the one Chic tried to steal out from under me. Duane Wiebe did everything else except the engraving which was done by Charles Lee.

FLA, I wish I had done my custom singleshots on the Hagn action, but I don't think I'll have another singleshot built. They just don't appeal to me the way a bolt gun does. But never say never!

No one should worry themselves about these two becoming safe queens. I hunt with every rifle I own, or I get rid of it. I don't have any trips specifically planned for these two, but I figure I'll have to get them to Africa sometime soon.

The actions are '35 Chileans that Duane squarebridged.

The california english stock blanks came from Steve Heilmann's stash.

Somebody plan another Band of Bubba's event and you can see them in person. Maybe we can plan something at a range and we can do the barrel break-in "Tom Sawyer" style.

ForrestB:

How does Duane do the square bridge, if you know. Does he weld and re-heat treat, or blind screw and silver solder or what?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would really hope that someone here will let Martini and Wiebe know that they have really set a standard that very few will ever attempt much less reach.
Forrest you know of course that it will be a long time before anyone will muster the "cajones" to post another photo of a rifle on these boards.

wave

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Sooooo.... How do they shoot? Sublime, Exqusite some of the only words I can think of to even begin to give the pair the praise they deserve.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB:

Oh my..... I just want you to know that I'm available for adoption.

Muy bonita......

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
bulldog563: Sooooo.... How do they shoot?

BobC & I spotted for Forrest while he made one hole with the 375. Not a ragged hole either but one round hole.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago red: The scope mounting system used allows a lower scope mounted height as the front receiver ring does not have to be built up for the mount sockets or (shudder) dovetailed to receive a mount base at a comparable level. The line of sight for the express sights is also kept lower with the front ring unraised. As a side benefit the objective bell of the scope is firmly supported. Hard to improve on this system if a detachable scope is wanted.

They are absolutely stunning work and I appreciate Forrest's desire to maintain a working rifle appearance with just the right amount of flourish.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MKane160:
ForrestB:

Oh my..... I just want you to know that I'm available for adoption.

You got to get in line. I have even been offering up my firstborn but havent had much luck yet.

I have been fortunate enough to have been able to handle a couple of Forrest's Wiebe rifles and the pics just dont do them justice. They are truly works of functional art.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
I have been fortunate enough to have been able to handle a couple of Forrest's Wiebe rifles and the pics just dont do them justice. They are truly works of functional art.

Ditto thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles! Another outstanding example of artistry in metal and wood.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice examples of metal and artistry.

Helped me make up my mind about the color of buttpad. I like that read pad on the english walnut.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB,

Absolutely beautiful rifles. They should make you and your descendants happy for generations! Cool

Thanks for posting and very good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!
I must have missed a few days of posting when this thread was first posted.

They are fantastic.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, I never tire of looking at those rifles. A recent thread regarding something like "Help me solve this problem" got me thinking. Sell me one of those and ship it to me and I will pay you later. In the meantime I will ................. are you taking this in? You have the opportunity to have the undying sympathy of all the folks here at AR. Okay almost everyone.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sell me one of those and ship it to me and I will pay you later.

Sounds a awful lot like Whimpy to me: "I'll gladly pay you tommorrow for a hamburger today"

jumping

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a pair, I can only wish to own something as grand as those two. thanks for sharing.