New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS one..Duane two
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This one was a bit easier. I had my wife take in some bottom metal to ship. I honestly described the contents as "Trigger guard, sporting rifle" At two post offices "We can't ship gun parts"

One of these post offices, I have shipped many times the same parts...puzzling!

Anyway, if this occurs, refer the Post Master to Postal buletin 22015 (pg 18) (1-13-00) Basically this says that you can ship firearms parts that go to a mailable firearm. On page 19 of the same bulletin mailable firearms are classified (includes rifles and shotguns), prohibits handguns, (except between dealers..and others)

I got this stuff from the postal inspector's office.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I hope you printed out the bulletin, went back to the offending PO, placed the print out on the toe of your boot and

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you declare what you are actually shipping? Legality because you are FFL licenced?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
Why do you declare what you are actually shipping? Legality because you are FFL licenced?

My question too. Every time I have shipped something they ask me what it ain't. ("any flammable liquids? etc.")

They never ask me what it is, and I don't volunteer the info because it is none of their business as long as it is legal.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was For overseas shipment..mind you...I must determine if it is legal in the country of receipt.

You must point out...to the postal clerk that the above is not the concern of a US postal clerk..In fact they are prohibited from having a legal opinion whatsoever. (their rules..not mine)

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
I hope you printed out the bulletin, went back to the offending PO, placed the print out on the toe of your boot and

Ah James...you know me...sweet, loveable and easy going!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind every postal worker knows the work rules and applies them freely; it is the shipping rules that many are not familar with.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
At two post offices "We can't ship gun parts"

"Yes, you can ship parts, pieces, and even GUNS. Go get your boss"

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dall85:
Keep in mind every postal worker knows the work rules and applies them freely; it is the shipping rules that many are not familar with.

Yes: unfortunately very true...just didn't think I had to take the responsibility for in service training

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not run into the same thing with overseas shipping, I normally state "machined parts" on the manifest.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was advised to "Tell it like it is" for instance, there's a code that goes with the bottom metal...in this case 9305.29.2000.

Supposedly that number tells the whole world that this has no military value...etc. etc.

I ran it past two post masters and just for drill past the postal inspector...none had a clue. Go figure!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, you have done it right. If everyone thinks the post office is screwed up and broke (and they are both), just wait until the government runs health care! Not trying to start a political battle, just pointing out what massive government does daily.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
funny thing is with either UPS or the USPS explaining to them that you can in fact ship parts or even whole guns and they say no when I'm trying to return an air rifle for warranty work.
I turn right around an show them the packing slip. and say Then how the hell did I get it!!!!! You (ups or USPS) delivered it to me!!!!

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a lot depends on who you are dealing with. i never had a problem with anyone shipping firearms or parts thru the usps i always helped them and bent my authority at times to accommodate their needs. some post masters or supers. of mail were just plain azs holes dealing with the public. they were political hacks that couldnt hold a job without the protection of civil service. this is my humble experience of 31 years. i guess that explains my user name [usps] and really dislike finding myself lumped in with that sort. that said i dont take any usps comments personal. my office was full of hunters and gun collectors.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well guns for what ever reason carry a stigma attached that some people just don't want to deal with. Yet they own one or more weapons that are more deadly then guns year in year out. Automobiles kill more people ever year then all the firearm related deaths yet no stigma attached to them.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in small rural town (pop 1500) in Northern Kali. Our post office has great folks, they are very firearms user friendly.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usps:
a lot depends on who you are dealing with. i never had a problem with anyone shipping firearms or parts thru the usps i always helped them and bent my authority at times to accommodate their needs. some post masters or supers. of mail were just plain azs holes dealing with the public. they were political hacks that couldnt hold a job without the protection of civil service. this is my humble experience of 31 years. i guess that explains my user name [usps] and really dislike finding myself lumped in with that sort. that said i dont take any usps comments personal. my office was full of hunters and gun collectors.

Please don't take it personal...we're bitching about the "bureau//upper echelon authority// kingdom makers...I'm sure you've seen it all...Wish you supervised them all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no offense taken i just never understood the post office mind set. it is there to serve the public not the whimes of misplaced authority. as politically correct attitude took hold it got worse it became a haven for the untouchables and everyone is carrying a card in their pockrt waiting to play it. thus everyone is held in check with any hope of public service being its priority. my regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our Post Master is a retired Marine ( Never EX Marine or you'll hear about it ! ).

A super Guy !! an sharp as a tack and is one of the few I've ever met who actually KNOWS the rules and

regulations . My Wife works for the P O and I can assure each an every one of you,

That AFFIRMATIVE ACTION from you're Gov. is at work against you !. Hiring the best and brightest

hasn't been a priority for quite some time now . Now I'm biased ,my WIFE does care ! Her customers love

her because she goes the distance and accommodates them when ever possible and makes very few mistakes .

In contrast there are co workers who simply show up and breathe !!!.

At a retirement dinner some years back for a fellow co worker of hers , I made a comparison between

Postal clerks and Auto parts clerks . Step up to the counter ask for a part , what year is the

vehicle Make Model engine type ( you've got the picture ) . Well it isn't on a vehicle I'm using

WE DON"T HAVE IT SORRY , NO NO , IT"S NOT HOW WE LIST PARTS !. OK it's off of a such an such

uh well our computer doesn't go back that far , try the other Auto parts store . I've got to help

someone else !. Brush and shuffle move we've all gotten it one time or another right !.

Then there's that EX mechanic who now works the parts counter , hey bud what do ya need .

OK well this dump has computers BUT we got Books under the counter , let me grab em we'll take a look .

I appreciate that you've got a couple of customers over there , SO aren't you my customer , Screw em

they can wait !. In a long winded story some are better than others at what they do !. Is it any

different with other professions ?. I think not !. If your unhappy with the one you got change to

another one , An hopefully the next one has an IQ slightly higher than room temperature !!!.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I live in small rural town (pop 1500) in Northern Kali. Our post office has great folks, they are very firearms user friendly.

Same here on the frozen tundra of northern NY state. Almost Canada eh?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Well guns for what ever reason carry a stigma attached that some people just don't want to deal with. Yet they own one or more weapons that are more deadly then guns year in year out. Automobiles kill more people ever year then all the firearm related deaths yet no stigma attached to them.

I disagree. Nothing is more closely regulated for safety purposes than the automobile. From crash protection to brakes to fresh air ventilation, tossing in the rules of the road, they are heavily regulated.

Posts: 16102 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I disagree. Nothing is more closely regulated for safety purposes than the automobile. From crash protection to brakes to fresh air ventilation, tossing in the rules of the road, they are heavily regulated.

And yet more people are killed or injured as a result of automobile"s every year than guns. I think you may be wrong.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wymple, you need to look up the definitions of regulation and stigma, you are talking about 2 different things.
James

J.R.

Posts: 19 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here it is boys. Save to faves and see pg 18-19:

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/b.../pb22015.pdf#search='postal bulletin 22015 filetypeRazzerdf site:www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin inurl:2000'

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote