New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direct chamber loading for military Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After altering a military Mauser's extractor to allow reloading directly to chamber, how significant is either loss of extractor's "grab" on rimless extractor ring or extractor loss of strength (durability) because of metal removal?

Since gunsmiths and custom manufacturers have done this work for close to a century, I suspect something on the order of "every other lifetime". But never having had it done . . .

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The circumference itself is unalerted...or at least should not be altered. The upper quadrant of the extractor is altered only in the angle of the hook.

VERY little metal is removed

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
The circumference itself is unalerted...or at least should not be altered. The upper quadrant of the extractor is altered only in the angle of the hook.

VERY little metal is removed
Thank you for making this clear for me.

And a BIG thank you for not making fun of me.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i wonder if Tom is foaming at the mouth, in the corner of his shop

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh..I don't think so. The feature , I feel , is important especially on a DGR. A story went around for years of the barrel maker Buhmiller on a elphant cull using a Brevex action.

Things got exciting and he got a round in ront of the extracr=tor and VIOLA jammed action!

His bacon was saved by another shooter.

On a less dramatic note: In Tanzania, we spotted two bulls whie in the vehicle. Gerard asked if I had a solid or soft on tp.."Soft" I answered and he wanted me to change that out

Ah shit: in the fumble, I dropped a round in the chamber (500 Jeff) Goes "thunk"

Without the ability to retrieve that round...I had made damn sure of single loading capability...just uncomplicated a potentially complicated scenario quick and easy.

Tom has the last laugh! Those 5K plus Mayfair acions DO NOT have the necessary clearance in the ring for single loaing.

Any change to the original 98 specs is a step backward!

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i wonder if Tom is foaming at the mouth, in the corner of his shop

He'll be along, always has to have the last word.

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered if its faster to drop a round in the chamber than push it in the magazine and close the bolt..I've had to hurry a few times and its damn easy to fumble a drop in the hole. I've seen as many as 3 or 4 unfired cartridges laying in the grass when the dust settled,, So much stuff is assumed to be fact by fiction...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, everything is fine here. ...

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I've often wondered if its faster to drop a round in the chamber than push it in the magazine and close the bolt..I've had to hurry a few times and its damn easy to fumble a drop in the hole. I've seen as many as 3 or 4 unfired cartridges laying in the grass when the dust settled,, So much stuff is assumed to be fact by fiction...

Wow! That reminds me of the muzzleloaders found after some American Civil War battle. One apparently had been reloaded 23 times without firing - just as well they forgot to fire after the second one, I suppose, but ...

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I redid my test under stress and I'm faster and more efficient by pushing a round down in the magazine and slamming the bolt shut, than dropping a round in the chamber and slamming the bot shut.Ive seen and have tilted the gun up or down and lost the round with the drop method,but to each his own..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote