Find
Notify
Tools

Which "fake" drill press to buy...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
First of all I am not considering working on guns. As most of you know, I am prohibited from handling sharp objects or power tools unless an EMT is on stand by.

But every once in awhile I do need to drill a "square" or vertically true hole.

I ain't buying a drill press, see rule # 1 below.

Any suggestions on a particular brand or make of one of these contraptions to buy.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
if your heart is set on the contraption pictured, ive got 1 that you can have.. free.....otherwise go buy a cheapie 4" stroke drill press from harbor freight, lowes, home depot... for under $80...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
oh Jim...I did not know there was such a thing as a cheapie drill press?

I need to go check that out...damn I worked so hard on rule number 1 too

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I bought and tossed one of those things years ago. SAve your money.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I don't think the low bucks drill press guild will allow you to drill "square" holes. Someone else might be able to get away with it, but you can't. Secondly, if you want cheap, tie a plum bob around your head and have it hang where you can focus on it and the drill bit. All you have to do then is simply keep the drill bit and the string that is attached to the plum bob, aligned.

And, you will probably want to get a cheap little X,Y table that you duct tape the item to so that you can move it under your drill bit so you don't get the string swinging too much. A swinging string can cause big problems. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guy,

I am having visions of the string getting caught in the drill...whipping the plumb bob around...and going to the emergency room with the end of the plumb bob embedded in my skull.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but just think of the story you can tell. Big Grin

Maybe then what you should do is to get yourself an old turn table and let it spin the piece while you hold the drill and plum bob still. A three speed, 33 1/2, 45 and 78. Yeah, I think that is a better and much safer plan.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I already thought of it Mike, you have to rewire the turn table to run in reverse.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i think i have one of these contraptions ... you aren't on my LIST, but id you insist, I'll send it to you...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Mike, here's the next step up from the plum bob and turn table unit. It would really help to know what project you intend on doing so we can help you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Drill-Pres...7C293%3A1%7C294%3A24

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of this used equipment is A OK and more times than not Shipping is the largest expense !.

http://www.surplusrecord.com/srg/429882.htm

http://www.industrialsurplus.com/drills/drills.htm

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini...ion/Introduction.htm

I have a close friend who builds ( From Scratch ) miniature working engines .From simple single hit and

miss replicas of Fair Banks Morse too 18 Cylinder radial Airplane engines . Using these tools .

http://www.sherline.com/

Check out what they put together !. I do mean make EVERYTHING even the plugs .

http://www.google.com/imgres?i...lt&resnum=1&ct=image

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
if your heart is set on the contraption pictured, ive got 1 that you can have.. free.....

Is there anyone out there with one of these contraptions they'd be willing to let me have for free?

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
A ryobi bench top drill press from home depot will work fine if it's a once in awhile use and probably not cost much more than that thing.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Call me old fashion, but what about buying a decent drill that's got a bubble level on top? My boss had a decent cordless Dewalt for about 100 years before it finally gave up the ghost. Worked great and wasn't too expensive. Neither was it combersome to operate.

There would be nothing to guide the drill bit along to guarantee a true drilling angle but at least you won't have some Rube Goldburg contraption all up in the way. Moreover, think of it like this: it would be less sharp, hard material to reach out and snatch up your fingers!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I don't have one of those and if I did, I would not admit it. I do have a new Dewalt nail gun though. You can build a fence from 200 yards away.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chick,

That is a FABULOUS pic! Can you mail me a copy PLEASE. My youngest son (a Naval Officer) loves Dewalt tools and that pic would just wig him out!

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

BTW: Did you ever send in the paperwork?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you mail me a copy PLEASE

Just right click on the picture and save it to your PC

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I haven't yet but I will. It is on my list. I still have the ACCG stamps, lol.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Guy,

I am having visions of the string getting caught in the drill...whipping the plumb bob around...and going to the emergency room with the end of the plumb bob embedded in my skull.

Nothing directed against you, but that's a video I'd like to see. rotflmo

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i think i have one of these contraptions ... you aren't on my LIST, but id you insist, I'll send it to you...

That's cold. I wouldn't send one of those to my worst enemy. Wink

Mike,
To answer your question. Get any brand you can find locally. Kinda like debating to get your Hi Point in .380 or 9mm. Doesn't matter.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have one of those things too, bought it at a yard sale for a buck or 2 because it had a clunky drill attached to it. Uses are pretty limited IMHO.

If you just want to drill square holes make a little wooden block with a bunch of different sized holes you can drill when you visit a friend with a drill press. Then just use that as a guide.

Edited to add- Are you planning on using this to drill scope mount holes? That would save a bit of time because you can use the "hammer drill" setting, which is not a feature available on most drill presses. Now it is starting to make sense...

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Edited to add- Are you planning on using this to drill scope mount holes?

Mark, he is not permitted to be around any firearm with even the most basic of hand tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
quote:
Guy,

Nothing directed against you, but that's a video I'd like to see. rotflmo

I got to watch a guy drop a part on the floor while sitting at a drill press tapping parts. He learned over to pick it up and got the long sleeve of his uniform shirt in the spinning 3/8" tap. He reached up and reversed the low RPM tap and as his shirt unwound he was appalled to find that it was firmly snagged on the edges of the tap which began winding his shirt up in the opposite direction. He quickly reversed the tap again and it still did not come loose resulting in him departing the scene of the laughter leaving his shirt sleeve flapping in the air.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
oh Jim...I did not know there was such a thing as a cheapie drill press?

I need to go check that out...damn I worked so hard on rule number 1 too

Your rule number 1 is my favorite! So often the root question is completely avoided...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the cheapie drill presses from Harbor Freight are junk -- but they will suffice for ocassional use and will drill as straight a hole as the operator can set up. I use mine to drill an occasional hole, but mostly use it to chuck my case mouth chamfering tool into. At $49, its the cheapest and most efficient reloading tool I own. You can also chuck a mandrel from a Lee Collet die into it to hone down with emory cloth, as well as use a rotary brush for cleaning/polishing small parts.

It's junk, but it's pretty handy junk and appropriate for casual usage. The Ryobi probably costs a little more at Home Depot, but is probably also a little less junky. Buy whatever fits your budget.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Yes, the cheapie drill presses from Harbor Freight are junk -- but they will suffice for ocassional use and will drill as straight a hole as the operator can set up. I use mine to drill an occasional hole, but mostly use it to chuck my case mouth chamfering tool into. At $49, its the cheapest and most efficient reloading tool I own. You can also chuck a mandrel from a Lee Collet die into it to hone down with emory cloth, as well as use a rotary brush for cleaning/polishing small parts.

It's junk, but it's pretty handy junk and appropriate for casual usage. The Ryobi probably costs a little more at Home Depot, but is probably also a little less junky. Buy whatever fits your budget.

I agree! I have a $50 Harbor Freight drill press that I use for lots of things....I made an adjustable trigger on a Mousin-Nagant and mounted the scope with it, I polish motorcycle parts and I jewelled the bolt on a Mauser with it. The only thing you need and probably the most important is a (good ?) vise to hold the thing you are working on and a drill index.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I have a little drill guide similar to what your picture depicts. I use it when I need to drill a piece of material that is too large or the odd shape prevents me from mounting it in the drill press. Contrary to what these guys say, if set up properly and used with a little common sense you can drill a hole perpendicular to the surface you are drilling. In other words it is a lot more accurate than the alternative of drilling by eye.

As for the cheap drill press issue. I have a Walker Turner floor model, a heavy Rockwell and a Bridgeport mill that I use for precision drilling a lot. I also have a small $45.00 Harbor Freight drill press on my work bench that I use for shortening and polishing pins, dressing down and polishing screw heads, de burring existing holes, an arbor press, arbor for holding springs and pins for assembly, etc. etc. I wouldn't be with out it.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 03 July 2009 08:27 Hide Post
Mike

I have a little drill guide similar to what your picture depicts. I use it when I need to drill a piece of material that is too large or the odd shape prevents me from mounting it in the drill press. Contrary to what these guys say, if set up properly and used with a little common sense you can drill a hole perpendicular to the surface you are drilling. In other words it is a lot more accurate than the alternative of drilling by eye.

I agree with Craftsman,I'm a finish carpenter and use a drill guide all the time.Every tool has it't purpose and limits. Be safe, Stupid hurts.

Posts: 188 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote