New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just for the sake of discussion, which would be stronger.

1. A bolt made by turning down a large round of steel to leave the locking lugs of proper size and then drilling out for the firing pin; or

2. Starting out with a round of steel the correct size, drilling out for the firing pin, and then broaching a hole for a piece of steel that becomes the locking lugs, which is then welded just to keep it in place, and only making a hole through it inside just large enough for the firing pin to go through.

And one more question.

Why is it not possible to make a 2 piece controlled feed bolt so that one can screw on the front piece depending no what caliber he/she wants to shoot in it? (for a takedown rifle)

one of us
posted Hide Post
WRF

The Rem 700 bolts (the old ones at least) are two piece with the locking lug portion pinned in place. The Savage bolts have a very similar arrangement but the bolt head is removeable in order to change bolt faces.

Any bolt, reward of the locking lugs, need not be particularly strong. At least not as strong as the lug part.

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
machine from a flat bar, not a round bar.. you edm away the most part, then machine .. from a round, you are going to machine, machine, machine, and machine some more, just to get the a flat bar...

you make a 2 (or more) piece bolt to save money and time, as it's far easier to machine away .250 than 2.5

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sorry for butting in but I have a sako forester of my great uncles but he lost the bolt on a pdog hunt.

so how would u go about making a bolt for one.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
You could do a recessed 3 lug bolt where the lug is the same dia. as the bolt body. No raceway in the receiver either :-)

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sportco Model 44 had a 3 lug bolthead pinned into the mild steel bolt body. The strength question is immaterial, unless you specify the lug engagement area, lug depth and material strength and the expected pressures.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why is it not possible to make a 2 piece bolt so that one can screw on the front piece depending no what caliber he/she wants to shoot in it?

Very viable idea and used in millions of firearms example include:

Savage 10 and variants: pinned in bolt head, easy to change to different calibers.
Enfield No.1 MkIII and other variants uses a threaded in bolt head that is very easy to change and used to correct headspace as they come in different thickness.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some aluminum bolts that have a pinned steel head.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I think no. 1 would yield a stronger bolt. No. 2 is how Remington does it for the 700's. But they solder on the handle too!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I made a replacement bolt for a 40X I have, I made it in two pieces with the bolt head pinned to the bolt body with a 3/8" pin; somewhat like the Savage. The bolt head is made of EN30B while the body is c1045 shafting. The bolt handle/extractor cam are integral.
It's relatively simple to make a CRF bolt the same way by leaving a gap for the extractor collar.
The advantages of the two piece bolt in my situation was that I didn't want to have to drill for the sriker through a full length piece of EN30B. It's kind of tough stuff. The 1045 is easily machinable and has enough carbon to make it easy to harden the cocking cam.
I have to add; if Dave Kiff had been making his bolts when I made this one, I wouldn't have bothered! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Forged to the general shape. Then machined.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is it not possible to make a 2 piece controlled feed bolt so that one can screw on the front piece depending no what caliber he/she wants to shoot in it? (for a takedown rifle)

You can, it's just a little harder than with most other designs because the extractor has to be removed before the bolt head can be unscrewed and changed. Which also allows you to change to the correct extractor after changing the bolt head.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote