New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bases and mounts, steel or alluminuim?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I remember reading somewhere that there should be a correlation between the materials used for mounting a scope to the bases and reciever.

Steel reciever, alloy rings for a steel scope; or steel reciever, alloy bases, steel rings for an alloy scope.

Is this tue and if so, what is the correct coupling?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Nope. The Weaver mount system uses anodized or painted aluminum and they have been on rifles for over half a century with perfect service.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just recently put a pair of Leupold Rifleman (Walmart) bases and rings on a 300 mag.(They are Aluminum) Was sceptical at first, but have had no trouble with them whatsoever, and they look just as nice as a pair of steel rings.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Put me down as somebody who prefer steel rings and bases...I don't doubt that alloy can work and that they are strong enough, but I find they are that much easier to strip the threads on.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel scope, bases and rings. Bases preferably silver soldered to action.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Aluminum will work, but gimme steel any day!!

posted Hide Post
look at the Talley ring and base system, its all one piece,look great and so far work great. smithson makes the same in steel but at a much higher price. both are very nice.

Posts: 22 | Location: Betsy Layne,ky | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I consider aluminium an material that your shouldn't use for gunparts, at all. I would never used it [Razz]

Aluminium isn't even good for makeing pots and pans [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who are Smithson and how do I get ahold of them.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at Varmint Al's web sight he has a lot of detail regarding this. In summary he says you should match the scope metal to the receiver or base metal. This is allegedly to minimize any expansion differences between the two metals that might put stress on the scope tube.

That said I just bought a set of the Talley aluminum bases for my Rem Model 7 and absolutley love the look of the ring and bases being one piece. Saving 4 ounces over the Burris steel base and rings was just an added bonus.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel Only. I wouldn't have Weavers for free.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd C:
If you look at Varmint Al's web sight he has a lot of detail regarding this. In summary he says you should match the scope metal to the receiver or base metal. This is allegedly to minimize any expansion differences between the two metals that might put stress on the scope tube.

He needs to minimise stress - the scope he uses is a Tasco!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel only

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chuck, here is Smithson�s page
http://www.smithsonblackburn.com/index.html
/karl

Posts: 11 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it amusing that those that look for good enough, the least expensive route to result X, or so called economy in one aspect of a firearm are adametly apposed to it in others.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been sporterizing my Mausers with #45 and #46 Weaver mounts that cost $2 Aluminum and $10 in Steel.

I have alway used steel so far, but in the 25 Mausers I am about to sproterize for an accuracy experiment, I am considering Aluminum for cost reasons.

I never buy Aluminum rings [except for 22 rim fire with Weaver or tip off], and pay extra for Weaver Grand Slam or Burris Z rings, or whatever made of steel. The Benchrest guys use Aluminum rings, and I wonder, "if the bench rest guys get away with it, can I?"

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally use only steel, if possible. One big advantage is that you can take the rings/scope off if you want and reuse the same rings. Aluminum "stretches" when you tighten the rings, and "relax" when you take them off. This makes them successively weaker each time. Also, I've stripped alot of screws in Al rings.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got Weavers on a .458, and they haven't moved in 18yrs.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a Tasco World Class Plus 10x40x50 becuase of what I read at the Varmint Al site.

It lasted 5 trips to the range.

Could it have been the steel rings on Aluminum tube?

Not likely, as it broke while I was adjusting it.

When I twisted the target turrets, I violating one of the rules of cheap scopes:
1) no recoil
2) no moisture
3) no changing adjustments

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote