THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    mex 1910 or G33/40 to 9.3x62, which synthetic stock?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mex 1910 or G33/40 to 9.3x62, which synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the last couple of days I've lucked upon both a Mex 1910 (Not very nice, but usable action) bubba sporter and a G33/40 action (a very nice one!). On my bucket list is a synthetic stocked mauser Rifle in 9.3x62 built to a similar configuration as a Rifle Phil Shoemaker posted pics of and talked about here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...711039241#1711039241

To summarize, Phil's 9.3x62 rifle uses a pre-64 featherweight action, a stainless (I think) 22" pre-64 featherweight contour barrel, Echols Legend stock, Fiber optic front sight, and a Williams aperture rear sight. With 5 rounds in the belly. Phil's rifle weighs 7lbs. This is pretty much what I am after, but in a small-ring mauser. I would like to use one of Duane Wiebe's bottom metals, no matter which action I go with, and a stainless Dan Pedersen Barrel. My questions are:
1) which synthetic stock to use. The whole purpose of me using a small-ring mauser is get a very light and thin profiled rife. There is no drop-in stock out there for either of these actions, so a pre-fit is basically out of the question. When the time comes to actually have this rifle put together, I wouldn't mind having the barreled action custom inletted, if need be, or even a custom lay-up stock made. What and who do you recommend?

2) Can the mex action be easily made to smoothly feed 9.3x62 at standard OAL? I talked to a gunmaker that posts on A.R. who prefers not to open the Mex's or the FN 24 (a.k.a large ring intermediate Mex and Yugo's) for cartridges other than the 57mm cartridge family. I understand that this helps make life easy for him, but my question still remains.

3) What is the best all weather finish to coat ALL of the metal with? I envision this as a rifle that I could use to hunt the dark Colorado Timber in the rain and wet snow (and hopefully not get lost!), or even take to Alaska.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 33/40 is a standard length 98 but if the receiver and bolt are undrilled and unaltered you will lose a lot of money by not returning it to military configuration, my opinion as a collector and rifle builder.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The 33/40 is a standard length 98 but if the receiver and bolt are undrilled and unaltered you will lose a lot of money by not returning it to military configuration, my opinion as a collector and rifle builder.

No disrespect intended, but I seriously doubt that. You are saying I should go spend a lot of money on some non-matching stock to return this rifle to original? I don't think I would even get my money back. I've bought a few bubba'd 33/40 sporters with forged bolts and were drilled and tapped that I sold or traded. I didn't pay more than $350 for any of them. I payed twice that for this one, as it very nice, with no holes and no grinding. The bolt has not been messed with, but I could care less. I appreciate the collectors point of view, but I am not one. If a collector wants to offer me way more money for this action than it is worth, then I would probably take it, but I bought it to build a rifle at some point, and that is what I intend to do. As I said, no disrespect intended. I value your opinion, but in this instance, I just happen to disagree.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
On the 1910. Yes but I wouldn't, which is my opinion . And I currently have a 458 win, 376 steyr, 358win, 308,7x57,708,and 257 on them... All limited to magbox length

But if you do, try a Mexican Mauser 3006 bottom... Model 1924..i don't know if the alignment would be correct but it's a starting point

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff
do you hold pressures down on your mex actions with the 458 and 376?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
On the 1910. Yes but I wouldn't, which is my opinion . And I currently have a 458 win, 376 steyr, 358win, 308,7x57,708,and 257 on them... All limited to magbox length

But if you do, try a Mexican Mauser 3006 bottom... Model 1924..i don't know if the alignment would be correct but it's a starting point

I would like to try one of Duane Wiebe's mex bottom metals if I go with the mex. If and when the time comes, I'll ask Duane if his mex metal will work with the 9.3x62. I should just go ahead and buy one, as another rifle on my bucket list is a Mex action American style scoped sporter in 257 Roberts. If it turns out Duane's mex metal won't work for the 9.3x62, who's mex metal would work. Swift/Blackburn makes a mex metal, but I don't know what length/shape the box is. Anybody know of a 30/06 commercial mex bottom metal? I really wouldn't need the box to be all that long. I would only shoot hornady and Nosler 286 grainers. The magazine box would only need to be about 3.26" or so, max.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you paid 700 for the 33/40, then forget what I said. I assumed you paid 350 or less; then, yes, you could make money by restoring it. Not now. I just hate to see un-altered 33-40 actions get butchered up. Too many alternatives. I know, it is yours. Just ignore me.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Just something to keep in mind...The Mex has a shorter guard screw hole spacing Here is some food for thought...I am now in production of our 1M which is the 06 version for standard 98.

If youy're really committed, I can skip the front guard screw machining so you couold end up with the magazine you want in non bubba'd bottom metal.

Duane,

You have a P.M.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Just something to keep in mind...The Mex has a shorter guard screw hole spacing Here is some food for thought...I am now in production of our 1M which is the 06 version for standard 98.

If youy're really committed, I can skip the front guard screw machining so you couold end up with the magazine you want in non bubba'd bottom metal.

Looks like I'll be using the Mex action with a very unique custom bottom metal from Duane Wiebe! From who else can you get service like that?!!
Guess I won't be needing the G33/40 anymore, this project was the only reason for me buying it. (Yes, another shameless plug!)

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The G33-40 is an outstanding action and perfectly suitalbe for a 9.3x62..It is a small ring action, 30-06 length and has a longtitude cut in the left side of the action for weight reduction. Actually the Brno mod. 21s and 22s and the 1933-5 German Customs Agency carbines were made on the G33-40 action early on..I have two G33-40 custom rifles, one in 9.3x62, and one a .270 and a BRno mod. 21 being a switch barrel 9.3x62 and a 7x57..they make up into the nicest of all Mausers IMO..

The 9.3x62 or any wildcat on a 30-06 case works well in the small ring G33-40 Mausers. I have seen belted mags such as the 7 mag, 300 and .338 built up on them, but I think the belted mags, both short and long are best suited on Large ring Mausers.

A G33-40 action alone will bring about $800 on todays market, has brought that for years and on ocassion you can find one for considerably less as lots of sellers don't know what they have.....A complete original G33-40 military Mauser will bring considerably more than that. I would not tear up an original G33-40 rifle to make a custom rifle, but there are a number of G33-40 actions to be had, but they are getting very scarce these days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question #2 to my original post is layed to rest. Thanks. Now how about question #'s 1 and 3?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a synthetic stock, investigate Brown Precision. I know they make one to fit standard guard screw hole spacing, don't know about intermediate length. You can buy these as blanks or send your metal to them for finishing. I've used several blanks. They are high quality and light weight. Although they do require skills to finish. They're not "drop-in".

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
9.3x62: Thinking about one also. I will use a standard 98 large ring, however, the Mexican is certainly lighter. Easy job with the standard large ring, not too sure if I want to tackle the work involved with the Mexican. I am not too sure if the 9.3x62 length will be a good fit for the Mexican action, guess it is time to measure. Anyone that has built a 9.3 on a Mexican, please educate me.

Just for grins, photos below of a Mexican and a standard large ring that have been hiding in my vault for over 30 years. Time to make use of both. The Mexican will likely turn into a 7x57.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Matt, I am paying close attention here as well. When you first posted I thought you were one of my guides who had just dropped off a barreled action for me to look at. It is a G33/40 with a fantastic JP Sauer 9.3x62 barrel installed and he was asking the exact same questions.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am no expert, but it seems like the SR Mexican might need work to handle the heavier/longer bullets.

I looked at mine for a 30-06, and could see that factory 220 grain loads would not fit in the military magazine box. I presume that the box could be lengthened, and the action modified, as well, but decided to save that action for a somewhat shorter cartridge.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
I am no expert, but it seems like the SR Mexican might need work to handle the heavier/longer bullets.

I looked at mine for a 30-06, and could see that factory 220 grain loads would not fit in the military magazine box. I presume that the box could be lengthened, and the action modified, as well, but decided to save that action for a somewhat shorter cartridge.

SAAMI max O.A.L. for 06' is 3.34", while max O.A.L. for 9.3x62 is 3.29. I think I only need 3.26" mag box length, as my 286 grain partition and interlock loads will not exceed 3.23". This would leave .030" for cartridge cant. I have personally seen a Mex sporter in 280 Rem. I don't think length is the real issue. The 9.3x62 has less taper than the 06', so this may have to be dealt with by someone who really knows what they are doing. Worst case scenario: I use Duane's 06' Mex bottom metal for a something-O-six, and order a regular 1M from Duane for the 33/40.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Damn Matt, think it will work! With the right stock and barrel you will have a 7 pound rifle.

The cartridge is a 9.3x62 Norma factory load. COL is about 3.25"

First photo with the cartridge in the Mexican action. Needs about 3/32” more magazine length to go down in the box with some clearance to the front. On this action the rear of the box is ahead of the rear of the well opening buy about 1/16” , so if the rear of the box was moved back you would almost have enough room. I would say if the box was 1/8” longer to the rear than original and you worked the rear of the well a bit you would have plenty of room. The bolt is almost back far enough, only requiring a little trimming of the bolt stop. And fitting the extractor. For a custom box, I would go wider than the standard box, do the rubber band stack with 5 cartridges and measure the width of the vertical stack.

Below is the large ring standard length. Plenty of room. Just needs a little opening of the extractor claw and some rail opening.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote