New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 300 win mag to 458
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a NIB Ruger 77 in 300 win mag (left handed) that I havent been able to sell so I thought I may use it for another toy. How hard would it be to get this to feed .458 rounds after having it rebarreled of course?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Which .458???

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
well snowwolfe it should feed ok but there is a sure way to tell. Its in a belted mag now so toss 3 458 rounds in it and try it. of course it wont close but so long as they clear the rails and enter the chamber u will have your answer. 1 hint though! make certain to tell your gun plumber to put a good feed radius on the barrel. tell him to go a bit overbord on it, almost 1/32 radius. those 458 soft nosed bullets can hang up going in very bad. Rod Henrickson

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458 win.....and thank you speerchucker. Not sure if I will follow through with this or not. But all ideas are welcome.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Get the mag box from ruger.

I assume it's a ruger tang safety, not mark II.

should be a rebarrel and a slight change on the ramp.

i think with about 2 hours more work, it could become a lott

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
Are you suggesting I can convert a 300 win mag action length to one that can handle a 458 lott? Please say it is so!

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
The 300 Win is 2.620 in length.The 458WIN IS
2.50 In length The Lott is 2.80.That is the only difference. They are all 375H&H offshoots. New barrel, mag box,and the other stuff Jeffe posted. About $700.00 or so.
Oh don't forget the stock.It will have to be bedded and 1 or 2 cross bolts and mabey a wrist pin. Another $150.00 or more.I looked at turning my Ruger 7mm into something else. Said hell with it and bought a #1 in Lott. Found,with help, a great deal on a lott in a RSM. I got rid of the 7mm and another to pay for it. Now I got 2 Lotts. Is this Lots of Lotts? Big Grin
Gotta find some some Pigs now beer
Good Luck
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Gene,

Those measurements you gave are for the case lenght, NOT,AOL. The Lott AOL is 3.60"

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Jeff,
Are you suggesting I can convert a 300 win mag action length to one that can handle a 458 lott? Please say it is so!

There was an article in an issue of Rifle Magazine last year where the author had a Ruger M-77 MkII in 7 Mag converted to 375 H&H. It should be the same thing to get a Lott in there. I'm pretty sure there was some machining required to the back of the action and bolt stop and some magazine box lengthening.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Keith--
Thanks for pointing that out as it could be misleading. The point is that the Lott will almost fit in the 7mm mag box.The Case length of the 7mm is 2.50 also.IMO It can be done but as I said above it could cost more than a CZ
or #1.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Jeff,

Howdy
yep, i think it can be done. your smith will have to fab/modified bolt stop cut the REAR of the action, but i've done FAR worse to a mauser and a load of lotts are made on them. remember, the original 77 is a monster action, far longer than a mk2

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This action is a Mark 11, can it stil be done?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
On a mk2, I can't tell you, as I haven't studied it long enough... i would expect it can be... but you COULD run the risk of the bolt throw being so close to max length you could short stroke it....

there's always "load em long" in the winmag, and have the throat cut deep

jeffe

476AR,