Find
Notify
Tools

Who's magnifier/vison are you using?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I wear progressives and should probably go get that checked out. Working in close I noticed I need to get some help.

So what do you wear?

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear line bifocals, which work ok just glancing at something up close, but I swap my glasses out for a pair of 1.75 diopter reading glasses.

I do use a handheld magnifying glass at times or even a jewelers loupe.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 967 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich I wear both types. For general eyewear I have progressives. They are the older narrow field/cheaper type. There are newer and more expensive enlarged field versions that are supposed to be easier on eye strain. For close up use at work I had a pair of safety trifocals made to my prescription. This gives me a broad field of focused vision which helps a lot when working confined spaces and doing precise work. I think they were only around $110 from W-mart with frames.

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I wear progressives and should probably go get that checked out. Working in close I noticed I need to get some help.

So what do you wear?

Rich

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my experience, which is pretty small..

I had Lasik about 10 years ago, as i was very near sighted - wish I had done that 10 years earlier -

EXCELLENT distance vision btw.

in my professional life, I would with people, exec, managers, developers, sys admins, and engineers all the time -- and the "standard" bi/tri/progressive setup either requires me to lower my head and look like i am glowering at people, if they are across the room, or tilt my head back and "look down at them" if they are fairly close .... because I like looking people in the eyes when I talk to them

I find that normal progressives are "too weak" in the upper portion and the higher mag is too low in the lower portion --

i find that single "computer" glasses, which are focused at a further distance than "normal" (i think it's like 10-12 inches further out) fit the everyday use, for me.

i have asked lens grinders to flip my lenses, which is what some shooting glasses can do, and haven't found a taker - i'll need those next year

in the shop, (this covers many areas) I keep a pair of 2.5 or 3x cheap readers in my pocket - the kind you buy for 5 sets for cheap, to do detail work .. these tend to have a very close and narrow focus, and aren't great for working on cars and motorcycles .. but i get along.

I may follow the advice of lined bifocals for general shop work, just haven't gotten there yet

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear progressives. For close bench work I have an opti-visor with a fold down loupe. For reading I switch to 2.75 diopter reading glasses.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have about +1.5 left and +2.5 right. I figure I can wear a visor over the eyeglasses?

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you are wearing corrective eyewear a visor will work fine.
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I have about +1.5 left and +2.5 right. I figure I can wear a visor over the eyeglasses?

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used an OptiVisor with a #10 lens for the past 50+ years.
That lens is a 3.5 power.
I'm supposed to wear glasses (bifocals) but don't wear them when using the Optivisor.

I'm right up close to the work (engraving, stock work, checkering, machine work, torch, ect).
The focal distance is only 4 inches or so.
But that's the way I've always done it and it works out fine for me.