Find
Notify
Tools

Full-auto Rem 742
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
A friend was asking me about this. Apparently, his 742 in .308 has gone "full-auto" on him a couple times at the range. Any idea what might be wrong with it?

Thanks

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My guess is the trigger sear is worn (or broken). I don't know what sort of disconnector is used but if that, whatever the design is, were to wear or break it would be more consistent in blazing away all of the time rather than just on occasion.

Personally, to me this question falls into the category of having it looked at by someone knowledgeable with 742's.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have a powered hacksaw....

not a bad ending for a remmichucker

trigger mechanism is shot.. and they don't make parts for them

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the 870 parts like the sear and trigger assembly interchange. If the disconnector is shot then you may have to look for one at www.e-gunparts.com.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get ten round magazines for the 742. Got your own low rent BAR. BRAAAAAAAAAAAP!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get rid of it ASAP.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BRAAAAAAAP, BRAAAAAAAAAP, BRAAAAAAAP, YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAW! Smiler

Your buddy had a safety. Now he has a fun switch.

Just tell him to take the trigger group out (and out of the house), then look for some new parts.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree to clean the Trigger mechanism real well to start with. But it could be that he is not holding it "tight" in his shoulder and getting a Recoil Bounce against his Trigger Finger.

Encourage him to only load 1-up and 1-down until he figures out what is wrong.

The last time it happened to me was on a 45ACP that I had the Trigger Return Spring-Leg a bit too light on. Fortunately I'd only loaded 1-up and 1-down when I shot it the first time after messing with it. A Pistol is w-a-y more exciting that a rifle doing it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Well, he brought it over to the shop and I got it apart.

Looks like the disconnector got bent so the action bar could slide next it instead of camming it it down to lock the trigger. Probably got bent when someone forced the trigger group out of the receiver.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Numrich (e-gunparts.com) sells the entire trigger assembly (to FFL holders only) for less than $20 bucks. The disconnnectors by themselves are $7.20...and the sears are $9.20.

Not a real expensive fix job...but before I started forking over the cash for new parts I’d pull that sucker apart and see how much gunk and grime is embedded in the trigger assembly.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How was the controllability on Rock 'n Roll?

LD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
How was the controllability on Rock 'n Roll?

LD

Having fired allot of rounds through much heavier M14‘s on full auto I would assume it wasn’t a real pleasant experience...especially since it was a surprise Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote