THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Estimated costs for 9.3x62 - 9.3x64 Brenneke conversion

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Estimated costs for 9.3x62 - 9.3x64 Brenneke conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
Other than opening the bolt face and rechambering the barrel are there any other costs to look for...and what would you guys think would be a fair price to pay for this kind of work? Since the Brenneke is not your garden variety rechamber job any suggestions on who to do the work? I am using a CZ 550 American with the double pins and have not yet glass bedded it...does the stock need anything more than a standard glass/float job? Any suggestions for adding iron sights? Prolly add a barrel band sling mount and pull the stud in the stock and think a one stop revamp would be best.

I am dreaming of going across the pond in '08 with either a 270 or 300WMg/9.3x64 pair or the 9.3x64/416 twosome if I can scrape the schekles together for a true DG trip.

I am trying to stay under the cost of buying a 375 H&H and the necessary tweaking it...to spend THAT nickel on a 416/458 something to at least terrorize my smartazzed AH machoman brother in law with the thought of challenging him to shoot it off the bench! LOL!. He has a Marlin 45/70 guide gun and thinks it is the worst go rilla on the planet....hmmm...450 rigby...505...
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you will get numbers over a good range. To open the bolt face the last one I had done last year was $25 so maybe $25-50. Assuming he has the reamer and it just cut and headspace then $75-125. So my guess would be $100-175 total. If he doesn't have a reamer then add $35-55 rental.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
Who does your work in Houston if you would care to share his name? There is a great guy I use in Dallas, Doc's in Carrollton, but he is always buried with work.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The last work I had done in Houston was by Bill Dickinson in Texas City. He works out of his garage but does good work. 409-945-0533. I also have been very happy with Mel Doyles in St Maries ID 208-245-3006. I've never met Mel but he has done good work for me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell has the reamer for a 9.3X64, he does excellent work. 509 684 5855

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I didn't know Bill had that reamer.. The guy is very thorough!!
j

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
I haven't discussed the 9.3X64 with either Bill or Mel. No more demand than there is for it I would be surprised if either of them had the reamer. I've had them both do chambering for me and I was very satisfied with the work and speed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K