Find
Notify
Tools

Clawmounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello -
First post here. Thanks to this forum for all the expertise presented - it's a tremendous resource.

I tried to find this info with search, and couldn't. I have a long background building Kentucky rifles professionally, but am new to bolt action gunsmithing. I would like advice and opinion regarding a couple of claw mount options. One is the solder-on mounts from http://www.clawmounts.com and the other is a traditional, more authentic mount system from http://www.accumounts.com called their "Double Claw Sniper" mount (about half way down the K98 mounts page).

Firstly, I have a custom 7x57 with soldered on clawmounts.com mounts, and am very happy with them - they function perfectly and look very nice. But I want to build/stock some (for me) pretty high end sporting rifles, and I am concerned that these might be a detriment to the work overall. By which I mean, just because I like them and they work well doesn't mean that they add any value to the gun, and I want to build rifles that are worth more than the cost of the action (not an easy task).

Secondly, the accumounts claw mounts look extremely traditional but I believe it's a copy of a WW2 military mount. Would this be way out of character for a classic sporter? The only difference I can see between these mounts and many of the ones used on pre-War Rigby Mausers is that the split ring nut is on the top here, whereas on the Rigby mounts they are apparently on the side.

I'm a throwback and am much more concerned with aesthetics and tradition than I am with modern ideas about efficiency, and I will be building rifles that are very accurate representations of pre-War sporters, American and European. I'm perfectly happy to go with TIGG'ed on squarebridges if that's the only good option, but if I can save several hundred dollars, that'd be cool too...

I'll be working mostly with 1909 Argentine actions.

Thanks very much for any help.

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if you search here, advanced search, with the words "claw mounts" in the top box, select subject only, you'll get some good leads.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I think that a better looking, and what I see on more custom guns, are ones that look more like the EAW

EAW claw mounts

click on the bottom right link

I don't know if he makes them completely from scratch but Duane Wiebe has made numerous rifles that have claw mounts on them, good place to see how it's setup

404 by Wiebe

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much - I meant I couldn't find anything about these two mounting systems specifically. I am also going to look into EAW and have drooled over Duane's builds.

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a set from clawmounts.com. i picked them up on ebay several years ago for $100.
eventualy i'll find the right project for them.
they are to tall for most modern style builds

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote