New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to get a 6.5-284 hunting/target rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would be the best way to get a rifle chambered in 6.5-284 to be used for hunting and some target shooting. I want it to be accurate and not to be so expensive that I'd have to remortgage the house. Should I buy a factory rifle and have it rebarreled or have one put together from scratch? Any suggestions would be helpful . Thanks

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
I have the same thing in mind. I bought a Tikka in 6.5x55 and thought about having it rechambered to 6.5x.284; probably the least expensive route if the twist will work, etc..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Will the magazine length be ok.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
The action on my Tikka is a standard length so I don't think it will pose a problem. The clip my Tikka uses is the same length as the '06 family so it should be ok as well as far as length. Might take some tweaking to get it to feed right.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I would say buy a 260 Remington in a 700 ADL or a Savage and have it Re-chambered. A 6.5x55 would be harder to rechmaber I believe cause the case is 4mm longer than a 284 case so you would have to take off more bbl threads at the chamber.

Besides 6.5x55 are usually done om standard length actions.

[This message has been edited by Mike Dettorre (edited 01-07-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
To the cost of the rifle add....(1) $200 to $275 for a premium barrel, (2) $150 to $200 to get it fitted and chambered, and (3) about $150 to $200 to get the action trued and then you need to get it bedded into your stock and probably a trigger job.

You might try going to the Pac-Nor barrel site....Chris will provide a new stainless match-grade barrel, true your action and fit and chamber the barrel for less than $450 as I recall plus he can duplicate your existing barrel countour...they do good work.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the 284 case is nominally .005 longer than the 6.5x55 so the rechamber would work out fine if you were happy with the neck and throat dimensions in the 6.5x55 factory chamber. I personally can't get excited about rechambering a fine 6.5x55 to a 6.5/284 just because I'm not a real fan of the cartridge while I am a fan of old classics like the 6.5x55! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Bill,

Thanks for the clarification I just assumed it was shorter because the 284 win is spec'd as a short action round and the 6.5x55 is "always" (or at least I thouhgt)built on LA or std length actions.

6.5x55s can have a COL of 3.0 correct?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Shillen SS barrel chambered for 6.5 X 284 and installed on a VZ24 action with a 3 X 9 Leupold. It does a pretty good job staying up with my Nesika single shot B/R with 36X out to 200 yds. Nothing fancy but it is very nice handling and the accuracy is there. Too bad I don't hunt any more, it would make a great hunting rifle.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello F

I bought a varmint-barreled Remington 700 in .243 and had it rechambered 6mm-284. It turned out well, for my purposes. The magazine is a tad short but the chamber was throated short to help compensate. With 85-grain bullets the magazine is sufficient.

The same thinking might lead you to a .260 varmint gun ( is there such a thing ? ).

Tom

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<David>
posted
Mike,

I have toyed with the idea of building a 1K target rifle in 6.5/284 on a Rem 700 Short action. For a single shot, this would work OK, but if you want to use it for hunting and feed from the magazine, this would not be the best choice of actions. The heavier 6.5 bullets would have to be seated very deep into the case to fit in the magazine. This would significantly reduce the powder capacity. The Mauser action is longer and would be a better choice as would a Rem 700 long action.

------------------
David Sipe

Politicians and diapers have one thing.in common:
They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
There is a little company in Sweden called VARBERGER. they chamber this round in their excellent rifles and Norma is making cases for this round both have excellent quality.
BR
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why bother, just build a 260 rem, or if your really need the power, get a 264 Win mag

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i don't know if it's enough of a difference to matter but the 6.5x55 head size is .480 and the .243, .260 family of cases are .473. does the 6.5-284 have the .473 head diameter? i don't know but if it does it would be a little loose in a bolt that was made for the 6.5x55...cheers...bud

------------------
blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

How about the magazine WIDTH? I looked at my Tikka M595 (shorter action) and there was no way a 284 based round could be made to go in the magazine.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Im building one from scratch right now on a 1909 Mauser action. The previous post is right. Magazine width is an issue. The 284 win is to wide to stack properly. The sharp shoulder angle will also have to be dealt with. Im no doing th magazine or action modification. I leave that to the metalsmiths. I barreled it up and will stock it. The complex metal stuff I leave to the experts.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is for Phantom Duck, Did you have that 6.5-284 Shilen barrel put on a Military Surplus VZ24 Action?

<PrimeTime>
posted
This cartridge works well in 700 long action. It does require a long action if you want to use the magazine.
Save your money and have Pac-Nor do the whole thing. It's the cheapest way to get a new one and would be much better than rechambering a factory.
Have fun with the new project

one of us
posted Hide Post
fetchmax

Yep!

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote