New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrome Plating Removal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Several years ago I bought a ZKK in 30.06 that had been hard chromed. I didn't think much about it at the time but after I looked in the bore with a borescope I realized the plater didn't seal the barrel before plating the outside. The inside of the barrel looks like the floor of a bat cave. Fortunately it shoots well.
However-- It offends me have have that stuff in the barrel. Is there some chemical/electrolysis that will remove the chrome and copper in the bore? I know Brownells sells a plating removing chemical that works with current.
Can I fill this barrel full and turn on the juice until it's clean? Like using a Foul Out system?

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Duc:
Fortunately it shoots well.

I would leave it alone... before you looked at it in the borescope, it was okay, right?

heh... of course, you could sell it to ME cheap cheap

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might ask this question to a plating company in your area. Look for a company who specializes in Hard Chrome plating. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Before I looked it was OK Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
When I was blueing and platting as a side job (let's see 30years ago now) We often had to remove the old plating before we could replate or reblue. Even with large vats we would still have plating left and had to remove it manually.

I don't see how you could remove it from the inside only. Plus you have the of the edge as it enters the bore. Might end up with a peeling issue.

If the rifle shoots well then I would leave well enough alone. A borescope can make glass look like a gravel road.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a bore scope has caused more good barrels to be scrapped than any other device on Earth. Custom barrel makers love the darn things!!!

If it shoots, shoot it. If accuracy goes south, rebarrel.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It shoots. I'll leavce it alone.
Reminds me of a friend who had an M-14 rewelded receiver. Shot like a house afire. Someone pointed it outand he sold the rifle in a week. Never did get another one that shot as well.