New
Find
Notify
Tools

Econo Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With all the talk lately about building an economy mauser, I thought I would post a couple of photos of my version. I can't get the image to post, so here is a link. The action is a 1917 Danzig, the bbl is an unissued 7mm mauser carbine, Remington sights, Pachmyer recoil pad, and I carved the stock from scratch from a hunk of mahogany. The rifle is pretty much bone stock, Straight bolt, military trigger, mil bottom metal. It shoots very well and it is so light you wouldn't believe me if I told you. What do you think?....
Action-59.00
Barrel-29.00
Sights-free
Pad-free
Headspace, bead blast, and blue-75.00
Stock-free wood + many hours
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Carnivore/rifle.html

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I am always impressed with something like that. Good job!

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that a 19 1/2" barrel? Where did you get it for $29?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a 19 1/2 inch bbl. I was going through some shotgun news and gun lists and started calling around. I was looking for some hinged bottom metal for a swedish mauser. I found the bottom metal for around thirty dollars and asked the operator about mauser bbls because the danzig had a sewer pipe on it. She told me they had a few in the back still in cosmoline but they were not advertised because there were so few. I figured for that price I would give it a try. It ended up being unissued. I don't remember where because it was about two years ago. I basically one day looked in my parts box and realized I had enough parts to do a rifle. So I tried to do as much as I could and as cheaply as I could. I am very pleased with the outcome. Eventually I will weld on a different bolt handle and install an aftermarket trigger but that is about it. If I can find the reciepts for the bbl I will e-mail or post it.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 19 1/2" 7x57 barrel from www.sportsmanguide.com got it for $50, it's brand new in cosmoline, I measure the chamber, and found that a 1908 DWM action I have will headspace perfect with it. I paid $40 for the DWM it is pitted under the wood, but is all matching, and the smoothest best fitting action I've ever seen, a buddy gave me a Bishop stock that has been inletted several time's, I will use it. I d&t the action myself, now I need to weld a new bolt handle on.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carnivore,
Nice job and it will be a pleasure to hunt with your own rifle that you put together from scratch.

BTW, where did you find the Swedish hinged bottom metal. I bought one of those some years ago and am going thru the exercise of replacing the trigger bow and putting a different release on it. I do not like the side button nor the looks of the front of the bow but it is very functional none the less. I think I got mine for $20 or so. It is going on my daughter's Mexican 1910 .257 Roberts. I would rather fix it up a bit if it is just elbow grease rather than buy new stuff at $350.

chic

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 02-24-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Nice work Carnivore! Be warned, you are now addicted with the dreaded Mauserites desease! There is no known cure so don't waste your time or money on medication or therapy it's hopless.

Doug Humbarger

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-25-2002).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the slips, I got the stuff from Springfield Sporters. On the bottom metal that I have the release is inside the bow with a raised button. It too needs a little tlc. It looks ok below the woodline though. I really have no idea what it was on originally.