THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Help identifying the sporterized M98 I bought today

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identifying the sporterized M98 I bought today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked this one up for $125 today, going to have the headspace checked then repair any cracks in the stock and if all is well then I think I'll keep her as is. Can anyone give me any information regarding the markings on this rifle? Thanks.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The sight is worth about $75 so you got a great gun for $50, especially with that well-marked front ring!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats it say? Duetch waffen xxx
munitionsearrrisxx
berlin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it's an 8x57, it is most certainly a .318 bore... SLUG IT FIRST

great buy...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got done measuring the bore at the crown (I don't have any lead around soft enough for slugging) and it measure .316 so given micrometer error this is surely a .318 bore gun.

So, should I make this a candidate for reboring or are the bullets available that would make it a viable hunting gun? Not looking to hunt the world with it, but it just might get taken out for blacktail one day next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found the 200gr Woodleighs for 32.99 per 50 at Midway. As much as I like Woodleights, I'm thinking this gun might get rebarreled. Reboring is a possibility to save the front sight but the barrel is a bit pitted on the outside.

The front receiver ring reads "Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken Berlin 1907"

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here are some .318" bullets. But, do try to slug the barrel. I've seen people measure from land to land and get erroneous measurements.

Bullets for the .32 special are .321" and usually work well. Just be sure the chamber neck is large enough to allow the cartridge neck release the bullet.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
We posted at the same time.

It will take a LOT of shooting to break even from the cost of rebarrelling.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Whats it say? Duetch waffen xxx
munitionsearrrisxx
berlin

deutsch waffen und munitionsfabrik berlin

german weapon and munitions factory, berlin

I may have misspelled, I don't speak german worth a whit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC they started using the .323 bore in 1903 or there abouts and most made before then were bored out.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i don't recall 1903 being the date of conversion, but it certainly could be...

SLUG IT

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were to reload for this gun, could I use standard 8x57 brass with the .318 Woodleigh bullets?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon45:
If I were to reload for this gun, could I use standard 8x57 brass with the .318 Woodleigh bullets?

Yes, but before running out and buying a load of bullets, do yourself a favor and slug the barrel. I have two G98's like yours, same vintage, and neither has the .318" bore. That doesn't mean yours doesn't but put the question to rest by slugging it. You'd be sorely disappointed if you try running .318" bullets down a .323" bore.

You will also want to get the right dies to size the neck enough and with the correct expander button.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To slug the bore I would use soft lead (like a fishing weight?) and then tap that through the barrel from the breach to the muzzle? I've slugged revolver barrels before but never a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it say GEW 98 on the left side rail? There actually was a Model 1907 Mauser, but most of them were in odd calibers going to China, or carbine form bound for Brazil. I believe they were quite rare; this is probably a GEW.

Made in 1907, that should be a .323 bore unless it was rebarreled outside the military. Nice find.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it says GEW98 on the left rail.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jesus... it take all of 15 minutes ..
slug the barrel.. a fishing weight will work,
if i am wrong, we spent more time talking about it.. if i am right, who cares, other than it saves wear on the owner

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your 0.318 bullets, you can find 200 grain Woodleighs and 196 grains from Norma, RWS, and S&B. I use all four in my .318 bore SAKO.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Olson in Mauser Bolt Rifles page 104 the change to .323 started in 1905 to 1905. But it is always possible for one to fall through cracks and get changed.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote