THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How difficult would it be to convert Mauser or Mod 70 bottom metal to fit a M-1917

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How difficult would it be to convert Mauser or Mod 70 bottom metal to fit a M-1917
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I have asked questions about this issue indirectly in the past but, this time, I want to address this issue head on.

Preface - there is no source for aftermarket bottom metal for a M1917 Enfield; at least not a source that anyone has fessed up to.

Question - how hard would it be to convert either Mauser or Model 70 aftermarket bottom metal to fit an Enfield. If it is a question of spacing of the action screws (the Enfield being longer, I assume) wouldn't a little cutting, adding on, welding, grinding and polishing get you there.

I know that is a gross over simplification but, coundn't it be done without "re-inventing the wheel"?

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that 1903 Springfield bottom metal has been converted to use on 1917 Enfield sporters. You have to weld up the rear hole and re-drill it slightly farther back.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick0311, I remember Tom Burgess had told me he used to use springfield bottoms on Enfield actions.

I wondered what the required to fit :rear hole move.

Do you know if the box lines up and fits the reciever?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
huh?

mauser to springfield aint hard...

enfield? that's a whole nother bit of work

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Rick0311, I remember Tom Burgess had told me he used to use springfield bottoms on Enfield actions.

I wondered what the required to fit :rear hole move.

Do you know if the box lines up and fits the reciever?

I don’t know, but will pull one of my Enfields apart tomorrow and take an 1903 guard and take a gander and see what it would take. Like I said, I’ve never done it but have heard and read about guys doing it. Alvin Linden speaks about it in his book on stock making and also has some pictures of an Enfield sporter with a 1903 trigger guard installed.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick , I saw a springfield bottom on ebay, New it sold for $61 , Ouch , no floorplate. Think Ill keep a eye out and get one and see how it fits.
Burgess said he used to cut the side rails off a enfield bottom and weld the front tang and trigger guard to the box also.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a simple answer to a complex operation, I offer this:

I can do anything you want me to do if you have enough money!

Simple? And, really, not trying to be a smart ass.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just eyeballing a springfield bottom to an enfield (because I didn't have a mauser sitting on my desk and the mauser/springfield are close enough to talk about)

the distance from the back of the mag to the tang is okay... if you pull it all the way back

you would have to cut the box OFF just infront of the rear of the mag (so it's a standing "wall")

move it forward about .300 or so, and rejigger the mag geometery, and make a new floorplate.

why? because it's too short through the enfield box hole in a stock..

BUT, if you where inletting a new stock (or making a patten) you might could get away with just lengthening the front tang.

lots of work

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dunlap has a section in his book on converting 1903 bottom metals to mausers because they look so much better. if a 1903 can be converted to m98 or 1917 then the logical progression is that a 98 to 1917 "could" be done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell’s GunKinks books show a little home made forging plate that looks pretty simple to use to reform the front of the tang. D’Hass also mentions converting 03 trigger guards in his book Bolt Action Rifles.

The other thing that would need to be done to an 03 guard to convert it would be the installation of the feed ramp portion off of the Enfield mag box.

I agree with jeffeoso, BIG JOB just about anyway you look at it.

I think I would be more inclined to make a straight, complete front tang and braze it to the Enfield guard after I cut the other one off right at the juction of the tang and the mag-box opening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other little thing I found after comparing the two is that the 03 guard needs to be relieved a bit to allow the factory Enfield trigger to fit through the slot. Minor thing, but one more mod to add to the list if you’re using the military trigger.

Since just about all of the Winchester aftermarket guards are actually made in two pieces (front and rear) you would think that it wouldn’t be that big of a deal to cut the rear portion off the Enfield guard and attach it to the front portion of a Winchester the same way and then just shorten the height of the Enfield mag box so you would have the same mating relationship with the bottom of the receiver.

The first steel trigger guards used on the Marines M40A1 Remington 700’s were made from modified Winchester 70 guards that were cut and pieced together. You can still buy those modified Win/Rem guards from Texas Brigade Armory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are working on a P-17,get Roy Dunlap's book.I followed his instructions on straightening the bottom metal.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M30 bottoms are actually cut and rewelded enfields also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interresting thread.

Thank GOD I am NO LONGER making these guards.

You start with a 12 pound block of 1018 mild steel, that is 1 1/4" thick x 3" tall x 9 1/2" long.
Then spend about 10 hours on the milling machine to make it into a trigger guard.

Sorry I do not have any left that will fit a P14 or P17

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have seen them but the common way when I was in gunsmith school was just to cut and weld the front tang on the Enfield and shorten the box. I saw lots of big bores done that way. This was 50 plus years ago and the big Ackley and Watts magnums were popular then. Enfiled actions were dirt cheap and a good learning platform as you had to fill in the birdbath,mill the ears ,contour the rear ring and alter the dogleg bolt handle,in addition to modifiying the bottom metal. One you had to change to cock on open. Not cheap in hours but cheap in experience. I've probably done a dozen or so over the years. Today it would cost far too much to have done. The last one I had was a Remington 30 that David Miller had worked over and bottom metal was either Wisner or Wells I can't remember. It was 375H&H.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote