Find
Notify
Tools

Williams Extractors **PICS ACCED**
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
I have tried to call and email Williams for the last week and only gotten a message so I am posting to the people who probably know...

I know Williams made extractors for the Model 70's but are ALL of them, (even the OEM ones) marked with W? I have two very late New Haven guns and have been told the extractors are NOT Williams because they do not have the W. I was under the impression that in the later years of New Haven, ALL of the extractors were the Williams.

Thanks!

_BAxter

Here is one of them...

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, they weren't all 'W' marked.

I have a couple here, obtained direct from Williams, that only have a 'M-L' marking [for magnum casehead, left hand].

The earlier New Haven extractors were of course, the black finished type made by the MIM process. Those ones have a few telltale 'casting' characteristics, like a square end to the collar slot.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Ah, this helps a lot. My one extractor I have taken off is the silver/stainless colored one and has only the S-R marking, no W.

I will double-check for the square end to the collar slot, but my memory tells me it was rounded.

Could you elaborate on any other of the characteristics of the MIM'ed ones?

I am not sure what is up with Williams, if they are away for a while or what.

Thanks for the info,

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
BTT with pics

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Ah, this helps a lot. My one extractor I have taken off is the silver/stainless colored one and has only the S-R marking, no W.

Could you elaborate on any other of the characteristics of the MIM'ed ones?

That one's a Williams, for sure. Williams have made these in both 416 stainless and 4140 CrMo steel, but I don't know if Winchester fitted any of the 4140's.

The MIM type didn't have the letter codemark [that one is 'standard, right hand'], and had a couple of 'embossed' marks on the inside of the extractor tail. The one I have [and replaced with a Williams] has a circle just below the collar slot, and an 'X' down near the far end of the tail.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gadge...this confirms one more example that the gunsmith didn't know what he was talking about...

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send this to your "smith" (quotes needed as to not offend real gunsmiths)

Gunsmithing 101

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
animal rotflmo yuck

That's funny

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote