New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with drop plate on .404
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
If Fairgame could send more pics of the magazine assembly, out of stock. A broadside of the bow, the hinge area at the front wall and release lever. A pic of the back of the bow, etc to try and determine if it is an 09 assembly. Better still simple caliper measurements of the bows ID length and ID height, anything will help. Once again we're trying to figure out what you have to work with ???????

If this could be done it would be considerably easier to fabricate and match up the widths and lengths of the front tongue of the floor plate as well as position to drill and ream the 3mm hole that the plate pivots on. Remember material be or may not have been removed from the back wall and certainly the front wall of the box has been extended. So a new surface will need to be machined on the underside of the front tongue to allow the new floor plate to pivot open and then stop when the plate is perpendicular to the underside of the receiver.

If the original is in fact a 1909 using an 1909 assembly here you could in theory get the width and depths correct on the OD as well as in the pocket, etc. But more important is getting the release latch tab position "just right" in regard to the distance from the center-line of the front hinge pivot hole. Then make damn sure the release latch angle on the current plate matches the release lever
tab/foot in the original bow.

Using a 09 unit in house this could be accomplished provided the original release tab foot hasn't been Neandro-smithed already. Get the geometry and length on the floor plate tab and corresponding contact surface of the latch wrong here and you will have a self opener on a 404 every time, bank on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One up an two down wouldn't bother me at all..Ive carried such over the years from time to time..one extra round is an over active imagination me thinks. I never got into a situation that I couldn't handle with 3 shots on buffalo,as you seem to always have time to drop another round in after the first shot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
One up an two down wouldn't bother me at all..Ive carried such over the years from time to time..one extra round is an over active imagination me thinks. I never got into a situation that I couldn't handle with 3 shots on buffalo,as you seem to always have time to drop another round in after the first shot..

Agree with your last sentence in particular Ray, watching videos of DG hunting almost without exception after taking a shot hunters recharge their magazine or open and recharge their double as the animal goes down or runs away. If an animal charges, no matter what type of gun they are using, nobody is likely to get more than one more shot, at the very most two, off anyway.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"seem to" , "likely" and "almost" may not be good enough for everyone

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
"seem to" , "likely" and "almost" may not be good enough for everyone

"may" not, but is having 10 down going to change the outcome for that person Wink .

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really now..is that a question?

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really now..is that a question?

No Duane just an aside quip with an exaggeration. My point on the matter was that I would not go down a temporary fix just to get more than two rounds down in a magazine by spacing the bottom metal out of the stock such as shown in the photos posted for D'Arcy . One up and two down is one more than a double holds, the gun viewed by a good portion of amateur and professional hunters alike as the begin all and end all of dangerous game hunting weapons.
Anyone is entitled to have the magazine on their DG rifle built to hold as many rounds as they want and if done properly as you and others are proposing, it will function well. Until that is done, a temporary fix is not going to change the odds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot more buffalo that most Duane and I could get by forever with 2 down and one up. If a charge occurs every 20 years you won't have time to shoot more than a couple of shots, and you won't be shooting by yourself, more likely three folks all intent on killing that bull..Its not the 1800s anymore in todays Africa.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would practice getting the rounds you have available on target faster.

Then worrying about having more rounds.

I see way to many people taking their bolt guns off their shoulder between rounds.

I see a lot of people waiting to see if the animal well die from the first round instead of shooting it again.

While it is still moving.

Ammo is cheap if it is still moving shoot it again. Especially important of dangerous game.

Strange things can happen between the time the bullet leaves the muzzle and it contacts the target.

I have seen complete misses because an animal moved, bullet hit a twig, shooter flinched, ect ect.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes and when you hit grass or miss them, they don't charge as a rule! Wink

The number of rounds has been created by fear and a lot of "what if" BS IMO..Shoot your animal and it will run, shoot him again, when he disappears reload, and reload ever chance you get no matter how many rounds you have or don't have is a good idea, The problem is as Ive witnessed many many times is the client with a drop box magazine or whatever never even thinks to reload unless you tell him too,so for them I suggest a 20 round clip.. tu2

There is always a number of guns for back up on Safari these days. A charge is stopped by one bullet in the right place,if not there is hell to pay..

Don't get me wrong, a drop box with 5 or 6 rounds isn't a bad thing, its a good thing, but I don't "demand it" to hunt DG. Best I recall my doubles all had two shots, and the belief that a person can fire 4 shots faster than a bolt gun user, is only partially true, Id say one hunter in a 1000 can back up that claim. Ive won money on that. I have won money shooting 4 shots out of a 3 shot bolt gun against a double shooting 4 I can shoot 4 or 5 shots out of a bolt gun faster than anyone I know using a double. Its just a numbers game and campfire conversation..There may be some that can't be beat with a double or so its claimed, but they are few.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fairgame: Why don't you send me a detailed drawing and I'll see if anything I have comes close

I will do shortly. Thanks

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9964 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ive shot more buffalo that most Duane and I could get by forever with 2 down and one up. If a charge occurs every 20 years you won't have time to shoot more than a couple of shots, and you won't be shooting by yourself, more likely three folks all intent on killing that bull..Its not the 1800s anymore in todays Africa.

I hunt many elderly people who simply cannot entertain an arduous follow up and thus having an extra cartridge or a smooth flowing feed is quite important especially in long grass or dense cover when you are shooting at shapes or silhouettes by yourself.

My double rifle has been out of action for a year now and still in France hence me carrying the .404 which is simply why I want to get it right and hence my post on the gunsmithing forum.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
fairgame,

Never forget Lesson #1 below.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
fairgame,

Never forget Lesson #1 below.

And 5

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

I hunt many elderly people who simply cannot entertain an arduous follow up and thus having an extra cartridge or a smooth flowing feed is quite important especially in long grass or dense cover when you are shooting at shapes or silhouettes by yourself.

My double rifle has been out of action for a year now and still in France hence me carrying the .404 which is simply why I want to get it right and hence my post on the gunsmithing forum.

Okay these two simple sentences do shed light on why you are seeking to get more down in the magazine. As a few, included myself have pointed out, the average hunter on safari should not be concerned if he only has 2 or 3 down in the magazine as he has backup in case of a charge and invariably will recharge his magazine before follow up.
What you are describing is that you often need to do all the shooting on moving animals as the clients are not capable of finishing the job, almost mob shooting comparatively speaking. In your circumstance you actually have a 'need' rather just a want. The true reason helps with answers but then many of us may have told you to ditch that sort of client Wink

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sorted and thanks all for the advice.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Can you share how the issue was resolved?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fairgame:

"I hunt many elderly people who....."

Am I the only one who cocked an eyebrow at this one? I mean, I know nursing-home vacancies are in short supply, but we've never resorted to hunting the elderly. I can't think it would offer much challenge, what with their walkers getting snagged in the underbrush.... rotflmo

(Sorry gentlemen, but I couldn't resist! It's been a slow day. No offence meant, Fairgame.)