Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge suggestions for Siamese Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I have a Siamese Mauser in very good condition and it is unaltered. Can anyone suggest cartridges for this action that require NO changes to the action? I don't mind wildcats.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The one I am leaning toward is the 7.62x54R.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
There's always the 45-90! That'll give you a rimmed .458 in that kinda rig.
Where did you find that rifle? I've been looking everywhere to get my hands on one and so far I've come up unsuccessful every time!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I wish I knew the original round better, but I don't, I THOUGHT it was a one off, that the 45/70 was close.

so, just whistling in the dark, how about the 405 win?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Since I have had a Siamese magazine squirreled away for the last three years, I guess that's as good as excuse as any to try and mate it up to something - I'm leaning toward a Turksish receiver.

My caliber is the .303 Brit. It should hold 6 in the magazine and feed like greases sausages. With a minimum of work. If I owned a mill and some tooling, perhaps my out look would be different...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen them in four calibers, 45-70, 7.62x54R Russian, .303 Brit, and 30-40 Krag.
I did one a while back in 45-70, fun rifle!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would anyone know if a 405 Winchester will work in a Siamese Mauser? I have an action in good shape and was thinking that this round might be a better fit than the 45-70. I would really like to put a 405 Win. barrel on mine.

Thanks,
HOOT

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a Siamese Mauser many years ago in 45/70. My recollection is that I had to do some work on the follower and I think the feed rails to get everything to work.
With your requirement that No changes be made to the action, you may want to make up some dummy rounds of cartridges that have head measurements that are compatable with the bolt face/extractor and see what works.
I recall that some have been converted to .348 Winchester in addition to some that have been mentioned.
Original, good condition military rifles are getting scarce--you may want to think about that before you do anything. I think about this fact often when I look at what was a national match Springfield that I bought in mint condition in 1963 and proceeded to sporterize.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
348 winchester

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice mannlicher stocked Siamese in 30/40 Krag that doesn't appear to have required any action mods. The barrel is an M14 Douglas premium and the work is flawless. Don't have any idea who built it but he is good. I think I posted pics of it on this forum a couple of months ago. I believe they were to show the bolt handle which is the best I've ever had. I can't see why a 405 wouldn't work and if this weren't such a nice gun I might consider rebarreling. Shoots well.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
long ago i think i'd checked the mag box dimensions and found it to be over-long for the 45-70 case and thought that a wildcat 416 based on the 45-90 case would be neat on one of those actions.

roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would anyone know if a 405 Winchester will work in a Siamese Mauser? I have an action in good shape and was thinking that this round might be a better fit than the 45-70. I would really like to put a 405 Win. barrel on mine.

I posed this same question about 6 months ago and reviews were mixed. It is right at the limit. What will work is a 40 Krag or the 40 RCBS. The latter is a BPCR development that uses shortened 405 cases to make a 40/70 Sharps equivalent out of readily available components. There was a blurb in the fall BPCR magazine about it. I have shelved my project until I find/make/beg/borrow/steal a follower for the action (mine was missing).

Another thought for the gun would be the 375 Flanged in the appropriate length and the 25 Krag in one of its incarnations makes a nice rifle.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I just tried to put some 405's with 300gr DKT round nose bullets into the mag on my Siamese 30/40. I could load one fine but then mag was about 1/16" too short . One from top loaded fine as far as it would go in the 30/40 chamber so I don't think i would be a BIG problem to lengthen the mag box slightly. I think they would feed with very little problem.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a .375x.348 Ack Imp. Works great, shoots good, nearly .375 H&H performance.

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My answer is the same as last time this question was asked....

1. first choice .33 Winchester
2. second choice .35 Winchester

Each should work smoothly and easily through the box and rails. And I like the older Winchester cartridges. Plenty of power for deer and black bear. Hardly any recoil with sane loads.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Old Elk Hunter

303 Brit would be my choice, classic and very sweet Smiler Smiler Smiler

Cheers
/JOHAN