New
Find
Notify
Tools

problems w/ a 375 h&h m70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i recently received a rifle i bought off a member of this site, and am having a few problems...looking for a little insight...

it's a 375 h&h ss m70 classic,
the problems i am having...
rounds not staying in mag, keep jumping out...
and
rounds will not chamber, when i do get a round to feed out of mag correctly, she rides into chamber ok, but will not allow bolt to close...closes maybe 50% or so?

any suggestions?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i would get a new mag spring first ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the mag spring.

Mine wouldn't feed the last round out of the mag, jamming it sideways as it went into the chamber.

Turned out the mag spring was weak and not pushing the last round up fast/hard enough.

Swapped out the spring from a .338 and it worked like a charm.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, i am in agreement w/ a mag spring...
my bigger concern is not being able to chamber a round, i have no idea for this?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
my bigger concern is not being able to chamber a round, i have no idea for this?

Assuming the chamber is clean. Is the round you are trying to chamber a factory round? Is the barrel factory? If the answer is yes you might try a black marker on the case and bullet to see where it is binding. If they are reloads then you might have a long reload and a tight chamber.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem when I converted a 300 win to long action using 375 box & follower.

I fixed it by cutting about an 1/16" off of the right side of the follower, and then welding 3 1/16" bumps on the other side. THis effectivly moved the follower's "bar" over 1/16", pressing the case harder into the right feedrail.

This fix has been solid for 10 some years now.

As for the not closing, check to see that a burr on the extractor cut on the barrel is not shaving a little brass (which raises an edge on the case, not allowing it to chamber). I had a 300 H&H that did this (cured it with carefull filing).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this is a "new to you" gun, make sure the bolt and the gun have the same serial numbers. The last four digits of the serial should be etched on the bottom of the bolt. That could cause headspace problems in a hurry.

Also, if you don't have a Winchester spring to swap out to try, a Remington 700 long action spring will work with a few licks with a file to narrow the ends where it fits into the follower and floorplate. It will also be stronger than the Winny spring, even when new. If it doesn't help, it can go back in the Rem.

Also, just to ask the obvious, Cool does the bolt close fine on an empty chamber?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jusst my experience when working at a large retailer in WI. These guns were designed by bean counters...gunsmiths had nothing to do with it

To really set these up properly, you make a new box with the same width dimensiions as the pre 64. Then get a new long mag follower and spring from Jim Wisner Open up the rails properly and be sure to get a new extractor and collar from Jim also.

Yeah...lot of work, but these actions are "generic" one size fits all....except it doesn't!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the suggestion that it's the follower.

I replaced mine with a different one from a Weatherby Mark V (a surplus part)....end of problem.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhat off topic, but as an aside, the Remington mag spring will also allow you 4 rounds down, one more than the factory. I put one in mine and it works great.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
just reading through looking for ways to clean up my win m70 375H&H. Thank you all for the tip on the remington Mag Spring.

tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote