Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H on CZ 550 Mag Action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
There has been a lot of discussion re the virtues of the 300 H&H on the medium bore section. This cartridge seems to have some popularity, yet suitable actions seem scarce.

I was wondering what you gunsmith types think of using the CZ 550 Mag action for the 300 H&H?

The way I add it up - the action weighs 3 lbs, 1 oz + the stock will weigh about 2 lbs, 8 oz + the barrel will weigh at least 3 lbs 7 oz --- which adds up to a 9 pound rifle, not counting rings, and scope.

What do you think? Is this a reasonable project if a fellow just wants a 300 H&H?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the regular 550 action is pretty big, wouldn't the H&H fit in the standard 550 action, also I would think you could cut at least a 1# off your barrel and stock between the 2 of them

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure - maybe the regular CZ action would fit the 300 H&H, but the source of info I have, which is the listing of the action by Brownells, shows the standard action as 30-06 bolt face only, and only 1 oz lighter. They show the magnum bolt face in the long action only.

Also, I called McMillan to get the approximate weight of their stock for the CZ Express, and the weight for the barrel is per Shilen #3 contour off their site. So those numbers are founded in something other than guessing.

KB

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it would work, but it sounds heavy. I played around with a CZ .375H&H recently and if a .300H&H comes in at anywhere near the same heft I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Terry,
I'm sure it will work - I mean function. There is room to spare lengthwise in the magnum action and magazine (five down) and it feeds properly too. But, you hit the nail head - I'm concerned about the heft also. It's probably not going to be a mountain rifle.

A friend had one of the CZ Mag 550s in 300 Win Mag, and as I remember it seemed a little big, but still reasonable, but the 458 Lott, and other big bores seem hefty - maybe my imigination.

He has since rebarreled the 300 WM to 416 Rem, so that and the Brownell listings are why I think the Mag action lengths are the same - long.

I don't know whether I'm trying to talk myself into it or out of it, but that's why I asked for the opinion of others.

KB

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I just used a Winchester M70 7Mag rifle as a donor for my 300H&H. There really isn't much to be done to make it work and it comes in at a respectable weight.

I do understand the draw to the CZ action though. fla3006 has one that I've lusted after for a few years now Razzer

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cz action will fit the 416 Rigby, and is alot bigger than you need. If your wanting to keep the weight down check out the savage long action. It is long enough for 375 H&H which is a touch longer than the 300.

If I ever decided to get a 300 h&h I would get the CZ action but only because I like the CZs.

As for weight my cz 550 safari mag (375) weighs 11lbs 6oz with scope, rings and sling but unloaded, and its no big deal IMO. The action is also big enough that the rounds in the magazine slop around and make clacking noises if I have the muzzle pointed down then point it up.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
the regular 550 action is pretty big, wouldn't the H&H fit in the standard 550 action, also I would think you could cut at least a 1# off your barrel and stock between the 2 of them

OK, I tried the 300 H&H factory ammo in my friend's 9.3x62 CZ 550, and to my surprise, the magazine is just long enough for the cartridge to fit. It also seemed to feed good - that is as far as it would go - since the bolt face isn't magnum. I think this is called the medium action.

Also, I don't know how many it will hold, since I only had one cartridge with me.

Well this is really news to me, since the finished rifle will be much lighter than the one contemplated using the long Magnum. I think you are correct about trimming plenty of weight off, if I am using the smaller action. I'm pretty sure the correct Mcmillan stock is lighter, and probably I can use a # 2 contour barrel. I'll bet the rifle will be close to 7 lbs, not counting scope. That will be much more pleasant to carry.

Next chance I get, I think I'll pass this by my gunsmith. As I remember now, he is familiar with the CZs.

Thanks, KB

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
iirc, cz at one time sold the 300win on the magnum.. this is totally subject to poor memory, as I was looking for a buddy for a 338 win on one (now THAT would be cool)...

like Tc1 says, weight would be a huge issue, as the 375 is a bit heavy on a cz.. but it is the ACTION weight, not the barrel.. if you tear them down, the barrel is only a little heavier than,say, a winchester

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote