New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSM on M98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone done a Winchester Short Magnum on a Mauser 98 type action. Say an Interarms Mark X.

Can the standard 06 bolt face be opened up for the WSM. Did it feed ok? How many in the magazine.

Most of all did it shoot well?

Any recommended smiths for the conversion/rebarrel.

Thinking of 300 WSM throated for 180 Nosler Accubonds. Lots of length in the magazine box.

Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
really, get a ruger or a savage in these calibers, and don't waste your time.. getting it to feed is a @#$@#$
fun calibers, but to 200 yards, an 30-06 works just fine

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I haven't done one but, there is no reason it can't be done easily. The WSM rim dimension is the same as a belted magnum and the case is short enough to work. The biggest problem will be to make it feed properly. I would send that job to someone skilled enough and there are plenty starting with Tip Burns (Canyon Sporting Arms, http://www.canyonsportingarms.com/) and Dennis Olson (PLAINS, MT 59859 USA. Voice: 1-406-826-3790) that can do the job. There are a lot of others and maybe some in Georgia the other posters can tell you about.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have never done a WSM, but I just completed a .300 RSAUM in a M98 action. They both use the same parent case so I've got to believe it should not be a problem. It was very easy to get it to feed well. I built the gun to use as a long range baboon gun in Namibia. It's 1 in 10 twist, shoots 210 gr. Bergers and 208 A-Max well, 2 to 4 inch groups at 500 yds. depending on conditions. I have found that the .300 RSAUM is very accurate and the .300 WSM is not. That is why I chose the RSAUM. I have owned several of both. I still own 5 RSAUM's and 0 WSM. I got rid of all my WSM's and won't own another. I have even converted WSM's to RSAUM for customers. I can do the WSM but I like to guarantee my work. MOA or less or no cost to you. I can't guarantee that in the WSM. Having said all that I'm in the process of building a .416 WSM for a customer because in .300 WSM it wouldn't shoot less than 2 MOA. He figured in .416 that would be good enough. It will be interesting......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tapper2, that has been my experience.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem getting wsm's to shoot very well.I have them in browning,winchester and a Montana. All shoot within an inch at 200 with 125-165 sierra's in .30 cal. I did build a 270WSM on a 98 action and it fed well.

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DannyH:
I never had a problem getting wsm's to shoot very well.I have them in browning,winchester and a Montana. All shoot within an inch at 200 with 125-165 sierra's in .30 cal. I did build a 270WSM on a 98 action and it fed well.

The bullet weight might be my problem. I normally don't like "light for caliber" bullets due to their inability to carry energy. The .300 RSAUM's favorite bullet is the 200 gr's.

See y'all in Dallas.........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 1-12 twist on them. The 165's is plenty heavy for anything in Colorado.The 125's are for play and the 150's deer

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote