New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Stretching" the Ruger action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Read that article awhile back in Rifle magazine about changing out the parts to extend a Ruger action to handle cases such as the 375 H&H and 416 Rem, etc and have always been intriqued by it. As a left handed it offers some interesting options. I did not want to hijack the thread about converting a ruger to 340 Wby so started a new thread.

Would like to know if anyone here has actually has the same work done to their Ruger action? Doesnt seem to cost much to change out the few parts involved but am seeking opinions of rifleman who actually had these changes made to their rifles. Any regrets?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
less work than a mauser to fit the same. replace the box, adjust the sto, do the feeding.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have not done one but a rancher I hunt with had one converted to 7STW back when it was a full wildcat. Last I heard he still used it.

This article?
http://www.riflemagazine.com/m...?tocid=1186&magid=84

I've done similar to the Classic M70. Just swap or shorten a few parts.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I must be a dummy. Just took apart one of my Rugers and measured the space on the bottom of the action where the mag box would fit in. The longest box it could accept would be 3.5 inches meaning you would be limited to rounds under 3.4 inches as they have to fit inside the mag box.
Where are you guys installing the longer box without cutting away part of the action? Cause aint no way in hell one from a 375 H&H length action would fit. This is why I was asking for first hand information because everyone says it is easy but never met anyone who has actually done it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the mauser is 3.4" and shelby had two rigbys on them.

it can be done, has to be done by a smith, aint hard

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure it can be done, but everyone was claiming all you need is the larger mag box and to alter the bolt stop and open the stock and that just is not the case. The bottom of the action needs to be milled out to accept the larger mag box. Think this was another case of everyone believing it was true because of something they read somewhere else, myself included.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure it can be done, but everyone was claiming all you need is the larger mag box and to alter the bolt stop and open the stock and that just is not the case. The bottom of the action needs to be milled out to accept the larger mag box. Think this was another case of everyone believing it was true because of something they read somewhere else, myself included.
""

As I stated I have not done one and don't have a Ruger to measure. The one I saw done the owner said the smith just bought a few parts and rechambered.

I'll admit to reading this""As I thought about the idea of building a .375 H&H MKII, it occurred to me it could be done with my existing parts inventory: the longer magazine box and follower from the magnum rifle (available from Brownells), the same stock and barrel contour that fits the standard .338 and .300 Winchester Magnum actions and the same iron sights. The only alterations required to the action would be to move the bolt stop and ejector back and lengthen the cut in the stock for the longer magazine box. All that was required from the "outside" was a barrel.

I simply use a file to open a M98 to accept a MKX box. I "assume" the ruger box fits inside the action so you feel a mill would be required?? Or would careful filing work? I have no clue never done it simply asking a question.

I'm sorry if the info I had misled you.
coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one mislead meSmiler

This was why I asked for firsthand experience. I been guilty of quoting that article as well. But with my next Brownells order I plan on ordering the larger magazine box so I can see exactly what needs to be cut out and talk to my smith to get his opinions as well. But 15 minutes with a file isnt going to cut it. Just take a Ruger out of the stock and look at the bottom of the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have stretched a few Mauser actions before but never a Ruger so you have got my curiosity going.

I took a look at a Mark II 7 Rem Mag in the shop and here is what I came up with.

The magazine box on the inside measures 3.425". Not so fast though, the receiver opening is .065 longer than the sheet metal box. So 3.425 plus .065 is 3.490 which leaves .110" to go.

There is a metal tab in front of the mag box to arrest forward movement so opening up from the front does not give you much before you reach the tab.

The mag box sets in a milled recess for the sides and rear. It appears there is just enough room to mill that recess .110 to the rear then cut and lengthen to mag box an appropriate amount.

Shorten the ejector .175" and you should be in business.

This approach should leave you about .030" to stretch from the front if needed.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote