Find
Notify
Tools

Fours Hours of Work
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I got a kick out of this and I thought you guys might as well. Duane’s been working on a 270 for me but the project was held up for a bit waiting on a buttplate from Biesen. Duane got the part so now he’s back on track. He sent me this photo at 11:30 this morning…

and this photo at 3:30 this afternoon…

Not bad progress at all for four hours of work!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It's pretty wierd the things you can accomplish with a chain saw and a rasp. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, You mean you guys dont even let him stop for lunch? lol

I really look forward to seeing Duane's work in progress photos you and MHC have posted. That has to be a treat when it is your pet project taking shape!

Martini barrel?

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful work, but the quickness of it doesn't surprise me. The man has been doing it so well for so long that every move is probably calculated and known in advance.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
Martini barrel?
HBH

Yep. 24 inches of chrome moly art.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
but the quickness of it doesn't surprise me.

Nor does it surprise me. These projects suck up the hours but if you actually put in a days work things progress rapidly. Many custom smiths would do well to learn that lesson.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or half a days work..... ;-)

I would absolutely love to spend a day in Duane's shop looking over his shoulder. Awesome....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That's nice! Do I see a dropbox on that 21H?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is sweet, a real keeper. Hope you enjoy hunting with it, I know I would

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Sure, at $8.00 an hour doesnt a smith have to work fast! Wink

It would take me 4 weeks to get to that point, you can take it off but ya cant put it back on...
Thats going to be one nice rifle, keep pictures coming.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
There may be more than four hours of work pictured. Knowing Duane, he may have taken the first picture at 7:00 in the morning, just before starting on the wood, sent you the first picture at lunch time having already worked four hours on it, and then spent another 3-1/2 hours on it after lunch. In any event, there is a reason that he is a master gunsmith.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would take me 4 weeks to get to that point,

Hell, I could work on a stick of wood for four DECADES and not get it to that point.

That barrel looks amazing. I'd love to see some better pictures of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
That is going to be special! Is this one for your son? I am still available for adoption.

Duane,
Very nice!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Duane! You need to get in line, son!!! :-)

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
Forrest,
That is going to be special! Is this one for your son? I am still available for adoption.

Duane,
Very nice!

No chance, Mike, I'm in line first for adoption! Smiler :::SIGH::: beautiful work Forrest & Duane. Anybody want some HEAVILY discounted 450 Dakota brass? Frowner jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
There may be more than four hours of work pictured.
Dave

For the record, there's exactly 5 hours and 21 minutes between the digital time stamps on the photos.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You think that is impressive, you should see what I can do to pack of Oreo cookies in 30 minutes.

All kidding aside, pretty impressive work.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He sure can "whip" those things out....he is the man Smiler

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What I wouldn't do to have a team of trained beavers like Duane's. lol

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
quote:
and this photo at 3:30 this afternoon…

A SKILLED CRAFTSMAN can move right along with a project!

This just proves it!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4240 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forty years of creating "mystique"...then you have guys like Forrest...seriously, the barrel is really a work of art and I'll be happy to take some close-ups

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a sketch of one of the great stock makers of in action. He had the blank one end down on a stump with a hatchet. I guess you could say he was rough profiling the blank.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
That's nice! Do I see a dropbox on that 21H?
Terry

Terry, no dropbox; it's a standard Blackburn #9 for the M98. I can see the same thing you're looking at but it's just a fair amount of wood left to come off the stock forward of the grip.

Slim and trim was the mandate for this rifle. It won't be a lightweight by any stretch but I'm looking for something that will be lively in the hands.

Here's another photo Duane sent today. There's still some wood that needs to come off the forearm but Duane wanted to run it by me before he does more trimming. I don't have much to contribute, but it sure is fun to feel involved in the process.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yea, it sure looked like a dropbox. That is sweet. Weight shouldn't be a problem. As I'm sure you already know, if it balances well it'll carry easy.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest and Duane, you guys have out done yourselves again. Very very nice!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

For those that don't remember, here is the photo Mr. Wiebe posted of his beavers that do all of his quick dirty work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like to see Duane file a bunch more wood off that forearm into a schnable, just for kicks, Big Grin realy!
Dont think ive seen a DW style schnable

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
GSP7: Duane does a wonderful schnable and I thought long and hard about using one on this rifle. It would fit right into the overall look of the rifle. I would have used a rounded pistol grip without a grip cap though. I hope I don't end up regreting not going that route.

Hot off the press – here are a few new pics…

The free-hand router scares the devil out of me.

But it all turned out just fine…

Looks great considering there’s not a drop of finish on it yet…

There’s been a lot of file work on the BRNO 21…

Ralf Martini’s reputation remains intact…

I kinda like it…

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

For those that don't remember, here is the photo Mr. Wiebe posted of his beavers that do all of his quick dirty work.

If that is a 3450 RPM buffer motor you are talking about a lot of chips in a hurry.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane does a wonderful schnable

I hear you gotta be part cabinet maker and part Mohel to sculpt a great Schnable. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Duane does a wonderful schnable

I hear you gotta be part cabinet maker and part Mohel to sculpt a great Schnable. Big Grin
rotflmo

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Holy Shit batman

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Sanded to 400 grit and ready for some red sauce...

Step one complete...

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Words fail me - what a stock!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
NICE wood......very nice work.....of Art you could say!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the whole rifle except for the result of the stuff applied to the stock.I would of prefered a darker end result instead of a clear varnish look.Is this just a sealer or is it the finished stock? Are there any alteranatives?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This oil adds just a hint of red...sealer to follow, THEN start finishing

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Duane
Great looking work. You make it look so easy. Is the Kynoch bottle the stain you are using? Is it readily available?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1849 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes: kynamco@aol.com. Not sure what kind of oil is used for the base. never seems to dry...I "trick " it with cobalt drier...wear rubber gloves when using cobalt drier! wash well afterwards, don't breath it! Otherwise, perfectly safe!