New
Find
Notify
Tools

shop built stock duplicator
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just finished it up. Built very similar to the Mike Greene machines but using a water cooled router motor and a VFD to control speed.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!! Looks good and solid. Heck I don't know that I've seen a water cooled router. I also like the belt vs the chain I have on mine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what does something like that cost to build?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cost was mostly in time. I was very thrifty buying stuff off ebay, like the Thompson rails and bearings. I have a small fraction of the cost of a new one in it, and LOTS of time.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I am constantly amazed at the talents of some folks on this forum, Very professional looking! Does the stylus scuff up the original as bad as it looks or is it just the picture?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does tend to scuff it some with a steel stylus, but this stock just had color in the finish so any scratch just jumps out. I need to make a delrin tip to minimize damage but it was not needed for this job as the stock was essentially trash.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Very nice

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I like that water cooled feature.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then the other question is what did you invent for stabilizers to keep the blanks from moving at all?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I understand your question silvertip1, but the blanks are held in place with 1/4" dowel pins, two in the rear and a single one up front on the center of the axis which the blanks spin upon. The timing on the machine is regulated via a timing belt.
Steve

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure I understand your question silvertip1,

Steve this is his question he asked on another thread.

""What are you using to support that wood while it is in the duplicator? If you look at the Hoenig Duplicator or the photos of the one that David Miller uses you see that those folks pay a lot of attention to making sure that wood doesn't flex even a few thousandths when they are duplicating."""

He is asking about support of a full length pattern and blank in the middle to keep it from flexing.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just take light cuts. I don't use the machine to attempt a 100% inlet. It still takes plenty of hand work to get a good product.The flex has not been an issue for me in the past.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, nice work. Great looking machine. Did you do any inletting with it, even rough?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes. We get it pretty close. These are just the first pics after roughing. I'm inletting this stock now(taking a break at the moment) and it has come out quite well.