New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser barrels
 Login/Join

<OTTO>
posted
Which rifles use actions with mauser 98 threads or even mauser 98 actions? I am in search of take-off barrels that will thread into a mauser 98 action with minimal head space work and chambering. It doesn't matter what they are chambered for as long as they are not too long for a standard Mauser 98 action.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

<OTTO>
posted
Hello...ello...llo...lo...o.....

is anyone there

<MC>
posted
Otto,
There so many variations of the basic 98 mauser design that swaping barrels can be a real headache if you do not have the proper tools. The threads may be nominally the same, 1.100 x 12 tpi, but each country and or contract can be, and usually is, a bit different.

mc

one of us
posted Hide Post
Otto

Douglas and Shilen make pre-threaded/pre-chambered barrels for the Mauser 98. I purchased one from Douglas in .35 Whelen a while back and there was minimal gunsmithing required to get the headspacing right. I think the manufacturer chambers deep and the gunsmith has to face off the barrel for correct headspacing.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Otto: I have found one barrel that actually fit a Mauser action without machining work; this one headspaced correctly, but the sights were on the bottom. To find a take-off barrel that fits a standard Mauser action without machining is not likely. If you're looking to do this the cheapest way, you can buy take off Remington barrels, and have them rethreaded and a new chamber cut for the action, but this requires that you have a lathe.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, nominally, Parker Hales, FN Mausers, Browning Mausers, H & R Mausers. There are more out there, I just can't think of them off hand. Hope this helps a little. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Dan,
Are these military surplus rifles or sporting guns?

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Otto. These were sporting guns, although the initial post war production in Parker Hale (and Whitworth, come to think of it)were all built on military style (thumb opening)actions. I'm not sure about the FN's. H & R and Interarms were all commercial actions based on the Yugo Mk X. There were also some early MK X style guns that were made in Spain (Santa Monica, or something like that). Oh, and Husquavarna (sp?) also made commercial Mauser actioned rifles, both 98 and 96 style. And on and on. The barrels from any of these should be an easy fit, but as mentioned above, an exact fit would be just blind luck. If it does snug right up, run out and buy a lottery ticket quick. Anyway, I hope this helps. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that many of us have old take off Mauser barrels and some very good ones..I know I have several I'd take $25. plus $5 shipping...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Otto,

Numrich Arms(type Numrich on your search engine and you can access their website)has
several military barrels that will fit standard Mauser type actions. The last time I checked, they had .30-06, 7.65x53, 8x57 and some "new" 1922 DWM 7x57's. These are all fully chambered. They fit actions like the K-98, VZ-24, Brazilian 1908, Argentine 1909 and of course the original WW I Model 98 without much trouble. They will not fit the Turkish 38 which requires a barrel with small ring threads. They can be fitted to the Model 48 Yugo's or the FN 24 intermediate actions but you will not be able to retain the enclosed cartridge head feature unless the chamber is deepened and the shoulder turned back on a lathe.

Posts: 3685 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried any of the Adams & Bennet barrels? I see Midway has them for several different Mausers. What is their quality like? I have an old Mauser that says Kar 98 on it and Danzig 1910 which I assume is the place and date of manufacture? I would like to rebarrel it to a .243 Win. so it would be more useful to me. It's currently chambered to 8mm-06 which I'm not interested in.

------------------

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<TomJ>
posted
Mike,
A friend of mine has a Mauser he built up with an Adams & Bennett barrel in .308 and it shoots quite well. He took it to 600yds and the guys he was shooting with all commented, without prompting, how well it shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hay Ray,
Do you have a take of sporter in 30'06 or 8mm?
Thanks

Another Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike-OR:
Has anyone tried any of the Adams & Bennet barrels? I see Midway has them for several different Mausers. What is their quality like? I have an old Mauser that says Kar 98 on it and Danzig 1910 which I assume is the place and date of manufacture? I would like to rebarrel it to a .243 Win. so it would be more useful to me. It's currently chambered to 8mm-06 which I'm not interested in.

Hi Mike, I've had a few rifles built with the Adams & Bennett barrels and they do ok. We have one in 243 that shoots around 1/2". I have two other rifles, 6.5/06 and 22/244 Ackley, that shoots around 3 1/2" at 550yds. These barrels are a little rough and need to be lapped. I can shoot about 15 rounds before accuracy starts to suffer. These barrels are ok for hunting but not for target shooting. A five shot group at 500 meters is 3.5" while a ten shot group was 6". I fired 8 shots to sight in with then fired 10 shots for score and that group was 9.2". Once I go above 15 shots, the group really starts to open up. A 6" - 9" ten shot group at 550 yds is better than most hunting rifles can do. These barrels are short chambered and need to be headspaced. For an economy barrel, they're not bad.

------------------

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have a special at Midway, a stock and .243 barrel for $99.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for your information. I think I'll go ahead and do this project this winter. It'll be nice to have something I got to do a little of the work on anyway. I plan to have it reblued since the bluing is pretty near gone. Thanks again for your time & effort.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote