New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What a fair peice these days? Saw one in a shop for $275. Action and barrel looked good. Looked like the original butt plate and was missing the Remington grip cap. Were these origanlly D&T for a scope, this one was. Was going back and fourth on picking it up but did not pull the trigger (no pun).

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
$500 for a clean one .. JUMP

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent price. If you don't buy it, I will. Where in Kali is it?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, they were not drilled anad tapped... at least the rem 30 that ive got isn't... the tops of each ring have about a 3/8" wide textured area, right in the middle... i paid $150 for a barreled action, it has side mount scope holes that will be welded up, and it'll work for me..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Scope holes were an option at some point in production but factory holes are pretty rare. Not to mention difficult to prove. Most likely aftermarket work.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I believe what tiggertate said above is essentialy correct.

Like Winchester, Remington would do essentially whatever the customer asked for...for a price.

In those days, both dealers and individuals could & would order directly from the manufacturer, and the makers could & would ship directly to the customers' homes or to businesses of any sort, with no government-ordained paper work required anywhere in the process.

The "catalogue" standards were d&t for receiver sights, but not for scopes. However, if you wanted a rifle d&t for a scope, all you had to do was put that on your request when you wrote the factory to order your rifle. You did have to indicate which mount you wanted to use, as mounts were not standardized as to hole spacings in those days. (And of course you had to write a little bit bigger check.)

Likewise, you could special order barrel lengths and many other things, within set parameters.

Most folks didn't bother with any of those things. The bigger cartridges and the strong bolt actions were generally enough "magic" to get all kinds of oohs and aahs in those days when only a relatively few big game hunters were really getting used to the "hi-vel" aspects of .250-3000's and so on over the .30-30 levers of their daddy's time.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Are the Rem 30's modified to cock on opening?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Yes, never saw one that cocked on closing

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
$500 for a clean one .. JUMP

Amen, go for it.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Yes, never saw one that cocked on closing

Is this correct?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
As far as I know:

P17 = Cock on Close
M30 = Cock on Opening

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got mine out of the safe and it is cock on closing. It is an all factory rifle with no mods.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the very early ones were COC, they soon altered it to COO.

Also, I have seen quite a few D&T'd for scopes, possibly from the factory, with two holes in the front and a single in the rear. All the period bases I have seen for these guns were set up the same way.

Price for these marches upwards. 4 years ago I got a nice one in.35 Rem. for $300. Last year it took $500 to get a clean one in 30.06. The rarer calibers (.25Rem) are going for close to $1000. These days $500 buys one that usually has some flaws.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have several some coc some coo large varyance in bolt stops as well. some have holes that look factory enough but most i have did not come that way.

I will buy all you can get at 250 per.

1000 for an extra clean one.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another detail is the guide rib on the bolt and slot in the inside top of rear bridge, like a M98 has. Real Early m30s had no guide rib, later ones did. I saw the same one as Thunder Stick at the gun shop, it was a very early m30 and had no guide rib

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading tht some early ones were made
up of extra M17 parts. That would allow for
variations. The delux ones were beautiful.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Where is said shop?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote