New
Find
Notify
Tools

amazing CNC gun breach video
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Sorry, guys, if you are on dialup, this will stink.

this is a "5 axis" cnc machine... but is "dual" A and B axis hardware, and A on both sides is also a turning head....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FvYukrH6k&NR

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a long way from lineshafts and lard.

I can remember working in small shops when I was a kid that still used machinery that at one time was driven with leather belts.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5Gibbs
posted Hide Post
Yep...that was cool. clap

I have a friend that has a CNC machine in his garage. (some garage huh?) He makes aluminum motorcyle items after work and sells them on Ebay. Gotta get that guy interested in rifles...

Posts: 72 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin can,
There is a shop here in Wenatchee that is all driven with leather belts on overhead shafts. The guy who know owns it, used to go in as a kid and pester the guy who owned the place. He got very succesful when he grew up and bought the building and restored all the equipment to like new. It is more of a wonderful giant den for him and has a rolltop oak desk, a giant wall bar from a tavern in Montana and a host of Harleys and rebuilt old cars. It is like a machinists museum.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
tin can,
There is a shop here in Wenatchee that is all driven with leather belts on overhead shafts.

That would be an interesting stop.

Back when I was talking about, there were a lot of shops that had War Department (or something like that) lathes, etc. I guess they got dumped on the market after the second world war. The machines had a metal label riveted to them with the name of the agency on it.

So a question-

The CNC probably is as close to perfect as there is, how close were the old guys, the guys who built Ballards, schuetzen rifles, etc?

Like the guys in Harry Pope's era.

From handling some of those rifles, the quality was certainly there, but what about tolerances, etc?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic, I will be visiting an old friend in Yamhill, Oregon around the Memorial Day weekend. Is it close to that area?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If only Winchester (USRAC) had tried them..

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
So a question-

The CNC probably is as close to perfect as there is, how close were the old guys, the guys who built Ballards, schuetzen rifles, etc?

Like the guys in Harry Pope's era.

From handling some of those rifles, the quality was certainly there, but what about tolerances, etc?

They got as close as any modern machine, if they were truly skilled. The thing they lacked was not close fit on an individual rifle or handgun, but the INTERCHAGEABILITY of close tolerance parts. A polished and hand-fitted part might fit its own gun to .00005", but it might not fit the next gun of nominally the same model at all, if "a tad too big" was required to fit the first gun correctly....or it might fit very, very loosely in another gun, if instead a "tad too small" was what was needed on the first one.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at that machine the last 3 times when we bought multitasking machines. But decided it vas to slow and required to mutch labur to keep it running.
We ended up with 1 Mazak Integrex with barfeeder, highpresure coolant, chipconveyer and partcatcher. And also 2 Okuma multus 250 equipped the same way.
So at the moment we are producing actions, bolts and parts 24hours aday 365 days/year,, with only 2-3 hours of labur pr mashine.
The result is fully finished bolts and actions, ready for heattreatment and vibrationpolishing, bluing and assembly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, how much money are we talking for one of these machines? Where are they made?

Jorgen

Yah, but are you making controlled feed mauser type actions that seem to be what a majority of the custom gun trade used as a basis for custom guns? What is your U.S. market share?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
So, how much money are we talking for one of these machines? Where are they made?

Jorgen

Yah, but are you making controlled feed mauser type actions that seem to be what a majority of the custom gun trade used as a basis for custom guns? What is your U.S. market share?

They are japanes made, and costs about ½mill$ each

We dont intend to make CRF mausertype. They are to rattely Cool, and to inacurate, and not capable of handeling high presure.
Our US marked share is 0%, as we dont yet have the capacity to take up more markeds, than scandinavia and a little in NZ and Australia

One of Us
posted Hide Post
["We dont intend to make CRF mausertype. They are to rattely , and to inacurate, and not capable of handeling high presure."]

Wouldn't those all be functions of the quality of the maker and the quality of the steel. And couldn't an "accurate" action be made unaccurate by the use of an unaccurate barrel?

How accurate does one have to be and how much pressure does one have to take to be a good hunting rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice machine there, I watched it twice. Wonder how much trade-in I could get on my Atlas 12"x48" ?? LOL

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jørgen: whats the name of the rifle you are making?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a long way from lineshafts and lard.

I can remember working in small shops when I was a kid that still used machinery that at one time was driven with leather belts.

That is how LE Wilson is run today! They still make good products.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
Jørgen: whats the name of the rifle you are making?

The only Danish Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to a machinist college having an auction on mills and lathes.

These days, the course is taught by a woman.
A liberal woman wearing pants.
The students swap out parts like a monkey and do machining with a mouse and keyboard.

To get cheap high quality mass production, it is great.
From an aesthetic point of view, it sucks.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only Danish

S&H?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
The only Danish

S&H?

A link to a tv klip.
The language might seem a little different (except in Denmark)

http://www.tvsyd.dk/page/13?article_id=4664#

Then thumbnail "se video"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's a great video- who manufactured the rifling machine?

and, what's the full name of your product, I'd like to see one up close.

thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
that's a great video- who manufactured the rifling machine?

and, what's the full name of your product, I'd like to see one up close.

thanks again.

We have 2 dubblespindeled Fritz Werner (berlin.) And 1 dubbelde spindeled hydraulic SIG.
Our deepholedrill is also a dubbledspindeled FritZ Werner. And our barrellappingmashine is a SIG

Over the years we have also used some Pratt & Withney Sinebar mashines. But we didnt realy like them, so we sold 4 of them to Border Barrels, and a dubbled spindeled to Arthur Smith.
So today we only have 6 spindels, and on those we are capable of making about 10.000 barrels/year, when running 1 shift.

www.schultzlarsen.com