Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun vise advise
 Login/Join

posted
Would like to purchase a high quality vise for my rifles and shotguns. Is there anything out there that stands out as better than the others? Also, are there any features the vise should to make it more flexible for various types of work and firearms.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 16 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel vice, mill vice, stock vice, hack saw and filing vice, bolt bending vice, which vice are you asking about?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A general vise for holding the entire rifle as opposed to laying it on the table top and having it slip around. I haven't done any "gunsmithing" per se but I feel like I need to be able to disasemble my firearms and put them back together. The other day I was working on removing a forearm screw in a model 70 and I just cobbled the whole thing because I didn't have a good purchase on the rifle. I decided that in addition to slowing the heck down, that maybe I should find a decent vise to hold the rifle when I try to work on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This question came up on here before and several guys posted really nice pictures of vises and the web sites/stores where they are sold.

The Pattern-Makers types are handy for holding the whole rifle because they have rotatatable, cork padded jaws that allow them to firmly hold irregular shaped objects (rifle stocks). However, they are not real good at holding metal parts for filing, fitting, hammering, sawing, etc. For those jobs you need a good sturdy steel bench vise.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BRobbins

There are many types of vices out there for a veriety of differant functions.
It sounds to me as you are looking for something like the Tipton gun vise. It is availibale from many suppliers, like Midway USA, Sportsmans guide, Brownell's,& I think Cabellas has it as well. You can visit any of there web sites & punch in Tipton Gun Vise in thewre search & you may find what it is your looking for. I have two in use in my shop for various jods, & are very handy.Just shop around, because you can get this same vise priced from $39.00 to $59.00. Depending who you get it from.

Posts: 36 | Location: Swamps, of South Jersey | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

I did a search on vises and found a whole thread around May of 2004. Had all of the photos that Rick had advised and got alot of good ideas. As a complete and total lay person on this subject, it seems like there are the hangar systems that are fixed and great for cost, portability and general handling; and then there are the real bench vises which incorporate either a curved plate to fit a rounded surface and/or cork or rubber backings to make it fit right and prevent scratching. I think that I'm going to go the direction of the true bench vise. Thanks for the help and it reminds me that most of my questions have probably already been asked and I need to get busy with the AR search engine instead of trying to get the wheel reinvented.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/gunm.html

I've used this setup for years for taking to range or club. Get the accompaning A-760 box. I have everything needed for reloading, scope mounting, cleaning etc at the range. All in the combo.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote