Find
Notify
Tools

03A3 orth redoing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all.

I have an 03a3 action lying around and was wondering if it is even worth trying to pretty up and make something out of it.

I was thinking of turning it into a 35 whelen wich should be easy enough; but I know I won't stop at just that. I'm sure a nice stock would follow, along with bottom metal and other unnecessary items.

Whatcha think.

turfman

I don't approve of political jokes...I've seen way too many of them get elected!

Posts: 133 | Location: Pa\Nj | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally very much like the Springfield. Were it mine, and outside of the problematical early serial number range, I'd build it.

I have one in .308 Norma Mag that is simply wonderful.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
these are the worst possible thing you can have in your gun collection, and will pollute all your other guns... send to me for safe disposale!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffeosso.

Give my your email and your choice of freight carrier. I guess my other two 03's, three model 70's and a reworked mauser might be adding to the problem also. Now I'll only have that stupid looking Weatherby in the locker. Aw hell, I don't like it anyway; would you dispose of that one also.

turfman

I don't approve of political jokes...I've seen way too many of them get elected!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man ... I had to fight myself to keep from being a wise a$$ in responding 'cause I'd be very happy to give an old war horse a good home in new dress. Big Grin

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done one and am working on another one. They are one of my favorite rifles, especially the classic sporters.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
I personally very much like the Springfield. Were it mine, and outside of the problematical early serial number range, I'd build it.

I have one in .308 Norma Mag that is simply wonderful.

Not to be an ass but none of the '03A3's were in the "problematic" serial range. All were well outside.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by turfman:

I have an 03a3 action lying around and was wondering if it is even worth trying to pretty up and make something out of it.

No need to shy away from the 03A3 actions.

Not as pretty as 03's, a bit more crude....typically lots of machining marks left, but safe and reliable.

I've done a few......and spent inordinate amounts of time cleaning up and polishing them. Some of the 03A3 bolts can be particularly crude. I swap them for a good 03 version. Ditto with bottom metal.

Here's an 03A3 that a lot of time and money was invested in:

http://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/pgs_eng/etapes.php?codec=C007

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the action will clean up nice; does anybody remember the name of the company that sold milled bottom metal that was real nice.
I guess it's been about 10yrs or so ago.

Looking at Great american gunstocks; the G&H looks real nice.

turfman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the GAG G&H Open Sight Classic on my current '03 project. I like the style and was happy with the wood I got. Numrich has a cast steel trigger guard for the '03, can't say anything about it quality wise as I haven't seen one. Blackburn or Sunnyhill may make one but they are pricey. I have an extra 03 milled trigger guard that has had the bow narrowed if you wanted to go that route. I also have some unaltered ones but they are rather rough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blacburn, that's it.

Thanks Craigster. Are you doing the work on the stock yourself or having them do it. I'd do my own work except the checkering I'd want on it.

turfman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do all of my own stockwork except checkering. Have you tried to contact GAG? They had a pretty good fire at their place earlier this year. Henry said he was going to rebuild the operation but I don't know how far he's gotten in the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can build a beautiful sporter on a Springfield, and have the ombiance of yesteryear and some of the classics..I would definately build one along those lines, a trim, slim, and sleek English type rifle, maybe a egg cheek piece and schnable forend, or maybe and orbendorf with side panals, lots of great ways to go with those beautifull old guns..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
It sure is! Get a milled trigger-guard & floorplate to replace the stamped one, and do the polishing yourself by hand before rebarreling and bluing. Use aa aftermarket trigger that has a side safety, or get a three-position, M70-style safety installed, and have a scope-type bolt handle welded on. Have the bolt body and extractor engine-turned, and blue the bolt plug & bolt handle.

It requires a little more elbow grease to make a nice action from the A3 version, but when done they are very nice! Then you can make it into any caliber you fancy. I made a .308 Norma Magnum from mine, and had a classic stock made from French Walnut by Paul Jaeger. The end result cost me about $400.00, and it was the equal of any custom rifle made with comparable wood.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A decent utility sporter can be made from an 03A3 and the receivers are immensely strong, but to build a high grade job you have to throw away the crudely machined bolt and stamped bottom metal and substitute older 03 parts. And do a lot of smoothing up of the receiver. You are much better off starting with a double heat treated 03, Springfield Armory ser. no. 805,000 to 1,274,766. They are slicker and stronger than the later 03s, which had nickel steel actions.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
It sure is! Get a milled trigger-guard & floorplate to replace the stamped one, and do the polishing yourself by hand before rebarreling and bluing. Use aa aftermarket trigger that has a side safety, or get a three-position, M70-style safety installed, and have a scope-type bolt handle welded on. Have the bolt body and extractor engine-turned, and blue the bolt plug & bolt handle.

It requires a little more elbow grease to make a nice action from the A3 version, but when done they are very nice! Then you can make it into any caliber you fancy. I made a .308 Norma Magnum from mine, and had a classic stock made from French Walnut by Paul Jaeger. The end result cost me about $400.00, and it was the equal of any custom rifle made with comparable wood.

let me see. Action about $150, bottom metal $250. barrel $300, bolt handle $150, stick of nice walnut $400. Custom stock by Jaeger $2500.

And you had this all for $400? bull

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok

I think I'll do it it up nice. Looked at GAG and they have a style called the Stuart Edward White style that I really like. But since its a German style stock, I might as well get real crazy.

Who makes octagon to round barrels; and who makes set triggers anymore.

turfman