New
Find
Notify
Tools

7MM Rem. Mag M700 to 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 1972 mocel 700 and I would like to know if I can rebarrel it to 375 H&H?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Yes you can.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As duikerman said, yes you can.

It's an easy straightforward rebarreling job.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the mag box need to be changed or altered?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yep..
call it $350 for barrel work
$150 for feeding
$150 for bluing

$650 ---
or sell the remington for $300, put $450 with that, and have a brand new CZ

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Yep..
call it $350 for barrel work
$150 for feeding
$150 for bluing

$650 ---
or sell the remington for $300, put $450 with that, and have a brand new CZ

jeffe

I think in most cases this is the economical route to another caliber. Trade for it as it costs less than rebarreling. At least when we're talking about production guns.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Wouldn't the mag box need to be changed or altered?

No, same box and follower. Simply rebarrel.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, same box and follower. Simply rebarrel

Thanks. I knew that on my M70 I had to remove the spacer or get a longer box. I had "assumed" the 700 was the same.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done the exact conversion.

Paid $300 for the rifle
Another $85 for a Hogue overmolded stock
$60 for a 375 H&H SST barrel on eBay

Did the barrel installation myself.

8.5 pounds topped with a 4x Leupold scope.

I have a 375 H&H reamer you can borrow if needed.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats all good news. I already have a 375 blank that was supposed to be made into a 376 Steyr on a Mauser 24/47 action. The gunsmith dragged his feet for more than a year so I decided to rethink. So for a M700 I already have and 100 bucks to get the barrel fitted I'll be started in the right direction. Surely 375 H&H reamers are easier to finc than 376 Steyr reamers? What hope is ther to use the factory stock till I get what I am looking for on the rifle?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I can't see a reason why you couldn't use your factory stock. If it is bedded real well I don't see that a 375H&H needs a cross bolt. Many would say add one to be safe. If you plan on replacing the stock in the future I wouldn't go to the cost and trouble of a cross bolt. But to be a little on the safe side I would install an internal pin. Inlet a grove behind the tang and bed is a section of screw.

My opinion prior to coffee.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have had this 7MM Remington magnum for 8 years and never shot it so I took it to the range to burn up the 3 boxes of Federal gold box ammo I have for it. Moan, just over an inch for 6 3 shot groups in a row. Dam I wish now I had just taken it to the gunsmith.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dam I wish now I had just taken it to the gunsmith.

Been there done that. Big Grin
So now the question is since you had it for 8 years and didn't use it will you change that now that you know it shoots? An unused rifle is still a safe queen if it is accurate or not.

If you don't want to mess it up but won't use it. Sell it. Many would love a MOA hunting rifle. Get a donar rifle. Or a sell the barrel blank as well and put the money into a CZ and don't look back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Since you haven't used the rifle in 8 years, go ahead and swap the barrels out and build your 375 H&H. Keep the 7mm Rem barrel though in case you don't like the new caliber - and if such is the case, I'd bet somebody here on the board would make you a reasonable offer on the 375 H&H barrel.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I really like them MOA hunting rifles myself. I still have the option of using the 24/47 mauser action and building the 376 Steyr as originally intended. Jeffeoso told me of a reamer my gunsmith could borrow and if this goes well I could add another rifle to my collection. About the M700, Ibought it at an estate sale with several other rifles, cleaned and oiled them and put them in the safe while mostly building a rifle a year on various mauser actions and hunting with them. I think the 7 Mag will get a workout this season instead of the 7x57.

one of us
posted Hide Post
About unused rifles, I have a rotating system in use and I have now used all my mausers and the one lone springfield on hunts so I just might be able to slip the 7 mag in without hurting any of their feelings.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
About unused rifles, I have a rotating system in use and I have now used all my mausers and the one lone springfield on hunts so I just might be able to slip the 7 mag in without hurting any of their feelings.

Sounds like a plan.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could I do the same conversion with a Interarms Mark X, and a CZ 550 375 H&H barrel?

Thanks
GS

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could I do the same conversion with a Interarms Mark X, and a CZ 550 375 H&H barrel?

I beleive the threads are different. Unless the MKX is already set up for the 375 you will need to stretch the mag box and remove a lot of metal on the feed ramp to get the 375 to fit. Or go the more expensive route and go with custom bottom metal and remove metal from front and back. Cheaper to find a use CZ 375.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Ramrod. It's a 30-06, and, I'm rebarreling my 375 H&H to 458 Lott. Was hoping to move the 30-06 up, and, then go to Africa.-)

Used CZ 375's don't seem to come up that often. I know some guys that have been looking for one to convert to the 550 Magnum, and, they are usually expensive, from my experience.

Had a chance to buy two for 550, but only had money for one at the time. Wish I'd bought the other, now.;-(

GS