Find
Notify
Tools

My duplicator is empty
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK Guys for the first time since last fall I have no projects waiting duplication. (After the one currently loaded)

So now is the time if you need your semi for your winter project.

Heck I'm going to have to cut a couple spec stocks just so I can't work on my "honey do list" shocker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
but but but i do not need another project!i do not need another project!!!!!!!!i do not need another project

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
i do not need another project

rotflmo rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
So you're saying that everyone should disregard the threatening email, letters and phone calls from your wife about: "No more gun stuff until you get your chores caught up?" The threats of horrible torture and death aren't true then ?
lol he he he he he he he he he he he he he

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you're saying that everyone should disregard the threatening email, letters and phone calls from your wife about: "No more gun stuff until you get your chores caught up?" The threats of horrible torture and death aren't true then ?

tu2 That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod- I've pm'd you twice just before business trips to Denver area, but never got an answer. Once about a year ago, and once a year before that.
If you can do a stock out of my wood for an '09 Mauser, please pm me atjerry@jerrymontgomery.org

thanks

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

First let me apologize I try an answer any and all PMs and/or emails. Maybe in my defense last fall I spent a month in the hospital and had 4 chest surgeries. I have no clue as to your timing. But still not a valid reason for no answer. Frowner

ramrod340@hotmail.com

I have a number of 98 patterns that would work with your 09. My pattern $125 plus return shipping and insurance.

These are the ones I took a picture of for someone else last month.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you able to do left hand Mauser actions? I picked up a new Zastava left hand 270 and 375HH here on AR. Would like to make new stocks as a winter project.

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you have a left hand stock I can copy it. Or we can take yours from the grip and maybe change the butt. As much as I wish my machine will not make a mirror image. Frowner Can only copy the pattern.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul- I wish I could hold them in my hot little hands, but since I can't, the 3rd one down looks best to me. I'll want to put a steel grip cap on it so I'll need to trim it down anyway.

The blank is 33" long and I'll want to put an ebony tip on it- can I trim it down? Sal Glesser of Spyderco Knives (Golden) is a good friend and I keep scraps of fancy walnut for him.

Do you want me to tape a check to the blank? I'll need an address.

Thanks for the response.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Jerry
The 3rd one down is a basic MKX Whitworth factory stock. If you have felt one of those it on the thinner side. 4th down has the pancake but more meat. You can remove wood but no put back.

I try to keep my patterns long enough so you can install a tip or not. Cutting off for you LOP is no issue. Just need to know what the plan is. Had someone after the fact say they wanted a longer LOP plus they were going with a open checkered butt. Had 2 mounting screw holes that JUST barely covered.

33" should be fine can always block one or both ends.

This bobc's Whitworth

This is the 5th down I call an old classic

2nd from the top a new classic. I don't have a finished copy of the 4th down.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fifth down (your "old classic") looks to have less drop, otherwise very similar; that might be better. I need your address, please.
My PM address is jerry@jerrymontgomery.org to keep from boring the boys.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
anything for a mexican mauser?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Top 2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the last photo of three stocks, the 3rd one suits me best. Is that the old classic?

You're only 70? I'm 76 and know what you mean about getting a young buck to get the work done.

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jerry that last picture bottom stock is a Springfield.

Hey at 65 I'm a spring chicken.

As to Woodhunters Duplicator. MAN I WISH.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Don't they have machines today that do all of that stuff in the blink of an eye with a bunch of 0's and 1's stored on a CD or memory stick? he he he

popcorn I'm such a prick !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:

Don't they have machines today that do all of that stuff in the blink of an eye with a bunch of 0's and 1's stored on a CD or memory stick? he he he

popcorn I'm such a prick !
They sure do,, and those that choose to use those 0's and 1's tend to look down their noses at those who work by hand,,,,,, kinda' like being a deplorable........

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sure they do. That way you can spit out all those M700 M70 etc that all look alike. Wink

But if my poor old wallet can't afford a duplicator that will do a mirror image it sure can't afford one of those 0&1 machines. rotflmo

The one I did see required you to basically run the pilot the full pattern to form a memory the first time.

Heck tell me why some look down at people that use a power head to checker. Or the ones that look down on someone using a manual duplicator vs attacking the blank with a chisel and rasp. Confused

Boy I need coffee Big Grin

Don't care how you get there the end result is what counts. Wink

Hey speer I'd be happy to store that 0&1 machine for you. Will even clean the chips off. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul-Send me your address and I'll send you a blank!

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I sent you an email

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ramrod340

I don't actually gots one of them 0&1 machines, I did however read about them in the National Enquirer about 35 years back. But, like carbide tooling and smokeless powder, I think they are probably one of those passing fancy's that given time, will go the way of the horseless carriage and the self loading shotgun !

coffee

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent, thanks.

Jim

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't actually gots one of them 0&1 machines, I did however read about them in the National Enquirer about 35 years back. But, like carbide tooling and smokeless powder, I think they are probably one of those passing fancy's that given time, will go the way of the horseless carriage and the self loading shotgun !

Yep just a fad. Kind of like those old Harley Davidsons from 1906. Company will never last.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
Maybe everyone is waiting for the election & don't want to turn over a new great looking stocked rifle. killpc

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe everyone is waiting for the election & don't want to turn over a new great looking stocked rifle.

Don't even want to think about it. shocker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flylo:
Maybe everyone is waiting for the election & don't want to turn over a new great looking stocked rifle. killpc

Totally uncalled for.........party pooper!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I set-up, run and do some "on the shop floor" programing. They're great for repeating identical, precision parts. But, my idea of 'custom' is every one is a bit different than the last one. Start doing by CNC and pretty soon you're GunWorks or one of the other gunmakers where if you want something different you're SOL. Even if you're doing your chambering with a CNC, you've still got to take the time to dial-in. I've never taken the time to figure out how many barrels I could thread & chamber in a day with a CNC tool room lathe, but if I hustle, I can do 4 a day on my manual tool room lathe. That's if I don't have any hang-ups. Manunal 'craftsmanship', at its basics, is nothing more than self control,,,,, a quality many lack these days.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flylo:

Well, I don't know too much about Mercan politics. But if Clinton actually is really sick, it's possible that the Electoral College won't be too worried about her taking out contracts on them and having them (PUTINIZED) for not supporting her and they might let Trump be king for a term.

Mind you, that rumor about the Putin and the Clintons killing off the competition and people who call them bad names and stuff is strictly gossip and conspiracy theory stuff !

coffee

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, the basis of the skilled tool user! Rapidly vanishing among the youth of today.

rotflmo I have a son-in-law that has a civil engineering degree and boy can he build apps for his cell phone etc. BUT the instructions have to be on the bottom for him to pour water out of a boot. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Yes, the basis of the skilled tool user! Rapidly vanishing among the youth of today.

rotflmo I have a son-in-law that has a civil engineering degree and boy can he build apps for his cell phone etc. BUT the instructions have to be on the bottom for him to pour water out of a boot. Roll Eyes
Hence, the reason for "shop floor programing". When the programmer isn't a machinist and doesn't know tooling, sometimes ya' just gotta' fix it, so it works like it should.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't blame you. I'd be doing that myself given the chance. Just put my fly rod up for the season. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul- I've sent you a couple of pm'S that the blank went out yesterday (fri) but they were kicked back. You should get it tues or wed. Letter and check enclosed.

Maybe I should stop using my computer to set the BBQ on.

jmbn
Old and in the way

posted Hide Post
Paul

Can you do rear grip type of pistol stocks?
Think XP-100 style with a rear grip.

Have several OEM type stocks to use as a patterns,
but want a couple cut from the Blue laminated type of wood, I also have the wood etc.

Overall length will be 16-20",
with a pistol type grip underneath.

Here are some samples, of what I am talking about,

http://russoriflestocks.com/Pistol_Stocks.html

Tia,
Don

Posts: 19 | Location: Western NV | Registered: 19 June 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes but I need your pattern. This customer wanted to reuse so had to grip the back and couldn't get a clean cut.

Should have looked at your link first. Yours would be easier. Issue is how to mount and if the pattern has to remain original

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The customer supplied his factory stock and wanted a copy. However he didn't want any damage to the exterior of the stock. A spur or any number of ways I could have attached it and made a more finished copy but it would/could have left damage to the original. So I talked it over with him and simply clamped a block from the back of the action to the back of the stock. Didn't damage the original left about the middle 1/2" of the inletting along the back edge I couldn't finish and the back outside.

I suggested even simply gluing a box that could be popped off. He didn't want to risk it. His stock his choice. He was happy so that is what mattered and his original looked like new.

Some stock I've copied the bad won't come off so I made up a jig to clamp the pad then mount the jig to the head. For sure taking a stock and letting it be set up as a long term pattern if better and easier. Some people just want their stock back unharmed. Wink That is why they have to pay more. For sure a lot more work for me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul

Questions,
How much of an extension do you have to have on the front/rear ends for your machine to cut too the dimensions of the stock?

Here is some photo's of what I want,
The second photo shows both types of what I am think of, and the last photo on the bottom, is what I finally ended up with.

http://specialtypistols.infopo...410087466#4410087466

As you can see I adapted a Choate rifle stock into the pistol form, as I want at least a 3 shot mag for hunting etc.
On the top portion of the grip, (rounded knob), I installed sling stud and will more than likely do this with all the stocks.

This site has a bunch of LR shooters, and we are attempting to find a place to have all the various rear and center grip type pistol stocks made,
as there is a real shortage of these types of stocks for the various pistols/handguns we use.

Tia,
Don

Posts: 19 | Location: Western NV | Registered: 19 June 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don
Confused If the question is "If my finished stock is 16" how much over 16" do I need the blank to be"?

While more is better scrap can be glued on each end. Key is to insure that your rear cut on the butt is actually in the finished wood. So while you could probably get by with an extra 1/4 if the set up was perfect I would prefer more like 1"+. Top and bottom I trim to about 1/4" clearance on the band saw then remount and use the duplicator.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The question I've been afraid to ask: can you do two piece rifle stocks?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The question I've been afraid to ask: can you do two piece rifle stocks

The smart A$$ answer is some. Only pattern I own is a couple of 99s. I will copy some 2 pieces. But I need the pattern and it depends on the action if I can get in close enough since my cutting head will not rotate.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K