Find
Notify
Tools

Beautiful work
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Stumbled into this at Gunsamerica. Beautiful stuff.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I like that VERY much! thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the action on this rifle ?
It looks like a Mauser action, if so I wonder where one could get a trigger with a tang safety ??

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It's a 1909 and the trigger is a Canjar. I would think any Mauser trigger with side safety like FNs, Husqvarnas and Zastavas would be convertible. You just need time, talent or money.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Now there's a safety where it should be!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a G33/40 project in the works that I think would be a perfect candidate for this kind of set up.
We's likes it a lot thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to ask...
Doe's anyone know where I can buy a Canjar Trigger with the Tang Safety for a Mauser ??

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hit-em the tang part of that set up was custom built. The machining part is easy. The difficult part lies in the precision welding of the custom tang to the receiver tang & not ruining both..

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes, I guess I wasn't clear. That is all a hand-made one of a kind. The safety is an adaptation of an off-the-shelf side safety that has the button coming up beside the action like Brnos or Remington 700s. In addition to welding the tang the lever, the tang button and linkage on this one were made by hand.

The only thing missing is a bling action screw hole.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
It's a 1909 and the trigger is a Canjar. I would think any Mauser trigger with side safety like FNs, Husqvarnas and Zastavas would be convertible. You just need time, talent or money.

To the bubbas...
"no" .. you can borrow my shop though!!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn it all !!
These custom jobs keep sucking you in Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Hit-em the tang part of that set up was custom built. The machining part is easy. The difficult part lies in the precision welding of the custom tang to the receiver tang & not ruining both..
And then you have to inlet the stock for the extended tang and safety linkage.$$$

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canjar makes the complete tang safety (extension, link, button) on request (I have one on my Mark-X) this one looks like the smith welded the Canjar (or a copy of it) extension onto the receiver tang.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is going on with the bolt-stop release? Is that a normal configuration for the 1909? In the second photo down, what is the piece with the screw that faces the camera? How about the checkered piece to the rear, how does that work and what does it do?

Thanks!

Posts: 99 | Location: Clovis, CA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
No that isn't normal for the 1909. The lever has been smoothed in the front. As to the button. Look in the first picture. That is now the bolt release button. You push in on the button vs pull out on the lever.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Canjar makes the complete tang safety (extension, link, button) on request (I have one on my Mark-X) this one looks like the smith welded the Canjar (or a copy of it) extension onto the receiver tang.

That's what I love about AR. Thanks for that, tailgunner. I may have to get one now.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you're refering to the screw up high that is the typical Redfield ring screw for the rear scope ring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohhh, very cool!

After taking another three looks, I now see that what I thought was something on top of the release is actually the scope mount on the bridge. homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, I must have heard you before you posted! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I saw a trigger safety combo like that on ebay one time. The seller said it was made by Timney and eas a stock item at one time. It wasn't welded like this one. I thought it a neat idea. When the trigger/ safety hit about $160 I decided it wasn't that cool after all Big Grin

I like it, kinda different. I'd like to wack that bolt handle off and try again though. Does it come with a stock?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
TC1,

You mean this one?

This is on that growing list of projects I plan on getting around to sooner or later.

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That's it! Got an extra one you could spare? clap

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No. It's a 270 barreled action for $2500. The barrel is a Paul Marquart in Model 70 featherweight contour. Actually $2500 is pretty reasonable for the amount and quality of the work but unless I new the whole history I'd be a little shy. Don't know the whole story but my guess is the barreled action is probably 35-45 years old.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
No that isn't normal for the 1909. The lever has been smoothed in the front. As to the button. Look in the first picture. That is now the bolt release button. You push in on the button vs pull out on the lever.

I believe that bolt release is an aftermarket one made by Billingsley and Brownell.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it a neat idea. When the trigger/ safety hit about $160 I decided it wasn't that cool after all

TC1, all I have are the auction pictures for use a reference if I try make one of these. I agree totally with your above statement. Once I realized that all that is is a Timney side-safety trigger with a connector bar and slide mechanism I stopped bidding. Either of us can build one for a lot less that $160!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner whatz da price on da Canjar unit? Cool

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
D Humbarger
I believe it was $20 more than the standard hunting trigger, and I think I paid a total of $75 shipped. Of course that was back in 76 (Damn I'm showing my age, again)
IOW I don't remember the exact price.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote