THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longer Throat in 45-70. How difficult is this?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to load my 45-70 bullets out farther but the relatively short chamber on my Ruger #1 is cramping my style. How difficult is it to make the throat deeper? Is this a job that can be done with a hand reamer?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had mine done by JES reboreing, even got a little extra. Now I need to find a seater for pointed bullets

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just looked at 3 Ruger 45-70 barrels; they have no throat at all.
Anyway, yes you can do it with a piloted throated by hand. Can buy one, or rent one. Child's play.
I have a reamer with a 1.5 degree leade and a .050 throat which helps a lot with seating bullets out; depends on how long you want to go.
Seater for pointed bullets; anyone with a lathe can make you one, or you can use epoxy clay and make one yourself from another shaped seater; that is easy to do as well; push the bullet into the die, in the press, with the compound in the seater plug. Put some wax on the bullet so it won't stick.

Posts: 17274 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
45-120 NE

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39590 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No crap I was surprised how deep I had to seat the bullets for my no.3.

Posts: 19580 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Anyway, yes you can do it with a piloted throated by hand. Can buy one, or rent one. Child's play.
I have a reamer with a 1.5 degree leade and a .050 throat which helps a lot with seating bullets out; depends on how long you want to go.
Seater for pointed bullets; anyone with a lathe can make you one, or you can use epoxy clay and make one yourself from another shaped seater; that is easy to do as well; push the bullet into the die, in the press, with the compound in the seater plug. Put some wax on the bullet so it won't stick.
Thanks!

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Realize that in the 19th century, the original throat for most cartridges was zero; the rifling starts immediately after the case neck. If and when they wanted more powder capacity for a given case length, the bullets would be made bore size and were only seated into the case a very small amount. Most Sharps' cartridges were made like that. The black powder impulse expanded the bullets up to groove diameter. Not suitable for military use, so the 45-70 bullets are groove size, but the front part of the bullet is less than bore size. And powder charges were routinely compressed too.
It is only us modern shooters that want a groove size bullet to be seated longer. So we invented the longer and tapered throats and leades. None of that is original.

Posts: 17274 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote