Find
Notify
Tools

Short Rear Locking Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

I'm still thinking about the takedown rifle thing (possibly obsessed, but please humour me)

I spent the weekend looking at my martinis and lee enfields with a view to using one of them to try the greener takedown method, which involves spliting the front reciever ring.

Obviously this is only a good idea if the action is rear locking. Sauer have also used this system on a rear locking bolt action and I can't find any reported problems. Anyhow I came to the conclusion that I really would like to do something a bit nicer than a Lee Enfield - if I could find the right action.

I have had a look at De haas "Bolt action rifles" but he lists only a couple of rear locking actions and nothing really small and light, and sized either mini or short. I'm aware of the 788, Anschutz and Sportco rear locking actions but I'm wondering if there are any others out there that are commonish (read modestly priced)

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Foster,
the ONLY common, in the us, rear locking is the 788, with a reputation for being hugely accurate.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
I'm aware of the 788, Anschutz and Sportco rear locking actions but I'm wondering if there are any others out there that are commonish (read modestly priced)

A very cheap and extremely (and very cheap) sturdy rear-locking action is the MAS-36. It was laid out for a 54mms cartridge case, so it is not exactly "short" - but with its two-piece stock, it would appear really *destined* for a take-down project. It is also very accurate (FR-1 and FR-2 sniper rifles being built on this base).

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tentman, a new stick may not be what you are wanting to do, and these may not be your cup of tea, but take a look at http://www.mauser.com

I admit I took the bait and ordered one of the M-03 standards in .270 Win, the only thing I'm kind of curious about is what my options might be for scope mounting other than the factory 1-piece base.

Sorry if this is off base from what you're after--just thought you might find interesting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You mention a Sportco rear lug action. I have owned and competed with a number of Sportco's, still own two, and have never seen a rear locking action on one. Which model do you have in mind? It's quite possible there's one or more models out there of which I am not aware....

Anyway, the Sportco Models 44, 44-B, and 44-D all have three front lugs which lock directly into the rear of the barrel (not into the front OR rear of the receiver).

Shultz & Larsen also made a rear lug action, for their Models 54,54-J, 60, 62, 65, and 68. BUT, none of those models was short, light, or anywhere near inexpensive. They were out of business for about 20 years, but have recently started again, so you might want to visit their web-site to see if they currently offer any short, light, rear-locking versions. But they still won't be inexpensive by American standards...

"P.S.: They did make a .22 LR "Biathalon" (SP?) Model for a while, with nice set triggers, but even though I had one, I can't recall if it was front or rear locking.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

Thanks for the usefull suggestions. I was onto the MAS 36, its a big chunk of steel, I was hoping for something a little more "svelte".

The Sportco action I've seen was quite like the Anschutz, definetley rear locking, and sized for .22 Hornet and .222Rem, single colum magazine. They don't seem to be common, even here, but they are "about".

It looks like it will have to be a 788 at this stage.

Cheers

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hello Guys

The Sportco action I've seen was quite like the Anschutz, definetley rear locking, and sized for .22 Hornet and .222Rem, single colum magazine. They don't seem to be common, even here, but they are "about".

It looks like it will have to be a 788 at this stage.

Cheers

--------------------------

If you find the Sportco rear-locking model number, please post it. I'd like to find out more about those. I personally like rear-locking actions and their short bolt throws. Would like to get a nice, light, small, one myself. Thanks.....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Steyr Mannlicher make a rear locking action for a long time before they introduced the SBS? I mean the action that was used on the SSG sniper rifles and several sporting models.

Best wishes,

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
Didn't Steyr Mannlicher make a rear locking action for a long time before they introduced the SBS? I mean the action that was used on the SSG sniper rifles and several sporting models.

Best wishes,

Yes, they did...at least my Steyr SSG Match (circa 1979) has one. I think they used the same action on the Professional & Pro-Hunter models, too. I've got a Pro-Hunter downstairs in 8 x 57, but would have to open the vault to look at it, and it is too close to dinner right now to be doing that when I could be eating. <G>.

More important, I think they also made that action in the .223 chambering, now that you mention it. Does anyone remember if the .223 Steyr was an appropriately scaled down action, or just another chambering in the .308-size action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rear locking Sportco was a Model 33. My 1973 Evans & Balfour catalog lists it at A$119.00 (Std) and available only in 222 Rem.Three model variations are mentioned but only a heavy barrel variation is actually described. The other variation was probably better (deluxe) wood. I haven't seen one in decades.

OzzieDoc

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure exactly what you are looking for size-wise. Sako and Stoeger Industries teamed up and imported the rear locking Sako Model 78, in 22 Hornet, around 1980. Mine was very accurate, had nice wood, and they can still be found occasionally.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie:
The rear locking Sportco was a Model 33.
OzzieDoc

Gee,, that is so logical I'm almost ashamed for not having guessed it. If the larger (.308) model was an M44, it sure makes sense the next smaller one would be an M33. Thanks for the info, Ozzie. Now I've got something else on my list I have to keep a weather-eye out for, just in case....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you checked HS Precision out? they make a foreward lug takedown I beleive on a win70 action type?

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Tentman, if you're looking for a Hornet-sized action there is the Ruger 77/22H and the Kimber 82. As was mentioned, Sako produced the Model 78 (and a similar earlier version labeled the P72). Savage is now producing their new Model 40, which I assume is a rear-locking action. You might even be able to rework an old Savage Model 23, although it was manufactured with the barrel integral with the receiver, so it would be something of a challenge to convert to a take-down rifle. Another possibility is the Savage bolt action that was available in .22 Hornet, .222 and .30-30 -- the model designation of which escapes me at the moment. A Winchester 43 is also a possiblity.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another possibility is the Savage bolt action that was available in .22 Hornet, .222 and .30-30 -- the model designation of which escapes me at the moment.

Model 340

One of Us
posted Hide Post
why is rear-lug preferable? that puts the repeatedly manipulated union in the middle of the stressed member. it seems to me (for what little that is worth) that an action where the bolt locks to lugs integral with the barrel would be superior, in that the stressed area including the locking lugs and forward, would always be assembled as a unit.

doesn't Steyr have a switch-barrel that has already made this simple?