New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mex Finish & how to procede.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About ready to send Mex off to the smith cant decide on finish either bead blast blue or high
polish blue stock still needs some work. Throw your sugestions in please. 1941 Mex. 308 Win, work to be done drilled & tapped, Extractor fitted, bottom metal cleaned up & trigger guard profiled. Barrel OK seems to shoot well sights need regulated.

kk alaska

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
glass bead blast and hot blue! this is my favorite finish

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what I was leaning towards. IT&D did one on my Rem 760 & it looks great. The Mex. action is very clean but has very minor pitting
near front of barrel, and was concerned with it showing on gloss blue. Stock was a cheap Brownells 96 blank that needed a lot of work to get it this far. Irons shoot 20" high at 100 yards at lowest setting! Mex crest is perfect and hate to drill & tap but need a scope with my eyes.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Polish! It looks just fine and you wont regret it.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust blue.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
I am partial to the pre-64 type of finish, receiver bead blasted the rest polished.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well....since she shoots high with the remington style rear (yuch) may consider to d&t for a redfield or a lyman rear peep. that cleaned up well..so perhaps you will consider "rust bluing". I've a VZ24 that Jim Kobe grinded/polished that I too would not consider d&t for scope...did put on a lyman rear peep with a NECG universal f/o on it...parkerized it.

nice looking rig.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think this rifle deserves a great rust blue. Cost more, but sure would set this one off as the beauty it is!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

popcorn

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, bead blast and hot blue is a low rent way to make it look SOMETHING LIKE RUST BLUE.

Why not do the real thing? The difference in cost is lost in the round up....

And...Oh...why grind off the clip slot? To reduce value? That part worked!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Duane
the man's question was which way to prep the metal, as he has already decided on hot blue.

My preference is matte over polish...

Which is your's, in answer to the actual question?

476AR,

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

And...Oh...why grind off the clip slot? To reduce value? That part worked!

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who thought that clip slots are beautiful. I can't believe the number of actions/rifles I have passed on because of this one "upgrade".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun show rifle that I traded for. Metal was that way when it came less bottom metal. Am LH
and not excited about dropping a lot of money in
it. I like the the look of bead blast blue and
one of my boys will end up with the rifle.
Would prefer it in 7 X 57 but bore is sound chamber is ok and seems to have potential.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel has the fat profile ahead of the chamber of a Springfield 03-A3 barrel. That is why your M700 sight sits too high to sight in.

Your front sight is about .100 too low.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its back Bead Blast blue

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

+1
If it's a working gun.
If you plan to look at it more then shoot then high polish would be ok.
I'm not a fan of high polish, it just depends on the rifle. Some look goo d some don't

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Looking good KK.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
finish looks nice!

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add one more to the chorus of rust blue!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it needs a better bottom metal.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Add one more to the chorus of rust blue!

Jim, you all ready said that Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Well, I think this rifle deserves a great rust blue. Cost more, but sure would set this one off as the beauty it is!

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, and only $375.00 Wink

How did the bottom metal clean up, hope it worked out well for you!
Nice job!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
quote:

Nice job!

Oh yes. And where might he find one?
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
quote:

Nice job!

Oh yes. And where might he find one?
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

22WRF has 2 for sale. With Blackburn getting out of the business and Sound Metal Products and Sunny Hill not making them for Mexican Mausers this might be the last time you have the oppertunity to buy one.

Terry

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
If I were a cynic, I might say that almost makes it look like someone is shilling his wares and insulting the rifle owner at the same time.

Thank God I'm not a cynic!
Wink

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the shilling (don't have a problem with that) but didn't see him insult the rifle or the owner.

Why can't a man mention he has something for sale?

Terry

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I don't see where anyone mentioned that he had anything for sale. I do see where a man pointed out a "deficiency" in another man's rifle.

Not really a big deal, but if you have something to sell that you fell might be an upgrade, come right out and say it(in a PM).

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see where anyone mentioned that he had anything for sale.

Then how was he schilling?

quote:
I do see where a man pointed out a "deficiency" in another man's rifle.

Just part of posting your work on a gunsmithing forum.

quote:
Not really a big deal

Agreed Wink

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I hope some one sends me some free bottom metal so the Mex can be taken out in public!
Will be happy to advertise where I got the bottom metal from. Will a Swedish Mauser bottom metal work? Or a Mark X mid length
bottom metal work on a Mex.?

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Terry

Let's not be obtuse.

Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

22WRF has 2 for sale. With Blackburn getting out of the business and Sound Metal Products and Sunny Hill not making them for Mexican Mausers this might be the last time you have the oppertunity to buy one.

Terry

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Terry

Let's not be obtuse.

Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Terry

quote:

quote:
I don't see where anyone mentioned that he had anything for sale.

Then let's not, but you can't have it both way's. Not even with $10 words Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
Well I hope some one sends me some free bottom metal so the Mex can be taken out in public!
Will be happy to advertise where I got the bottom metal from. Will a Swedish Mauser bottom metal work? Or a Mark X mid length
bottom metal work on a Mex.?

The Swede and the early Mk X intermediate-length bottom metal will work just fine. Also I've used take-off 1909 floorplates(that had been replaced by straddles) and adapted them to the hinged bottom metal that you already have, of course it's not a straddle but it's a great improvement nonetheless. A nice replacement with an automatically-longer magazine box would be a Swede unit with a Meier lever-lock hinged floorplate conversion. I've seen this lever-lock conversion done using a 1909 take-off floorplate to avoid the hassle of welding the hinge tongue and it worked out very well.

I like your Mexican fine even though the clip guide is missing, it'll make up into a nice light rifle anyway. Especially with a square bridge conversion....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
looks like the standard swapping of appreciation, ideas, and feedback .. and, of course, if someone wanted something, there's probably someone that has it, and someone on the forum might know of it.

blackburn bottommetal is bastially a long wait item, but 22wrf has some ... so, if the gent wanted to ask kevin if he would sell one, he at least has an intro..

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice job!

Damn guys I was just wanting to know how the bottom metal I sold him worked out. I bought the hinged floorplate extra for a friend and he backed out on me so I put it up for sale and did buy Blackburn metal for my project. I was just asking how did it work out for him and wouldnt mind seeing a picture of it. Just because it wasnt a half a million dollar floorplate doesnt mean he should hide the rifle in the closet. I think from the pictures I've seen it turned out to be a damn nice rifle, and I would take it out in the woods and hunt with it, and the boy it gets passed down to should be right proud of it!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't a man mention he has something for sale?

I dont have a problem with this, Hell It might be something I'm needing.
The question was NEVER ASKED where can I find Blackburn bottom metal.
One more time, Nice finished product kk alaska!!!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm the one that mentioned he had several of these for sale. If it was in bad taste on my part well, I'm so sorry but I've already done it so I guess it's spilled milk. I personally don't understand what the problem is and honestly don't care. Have fun with it, life is just too short for me to be concerned about it any more.

Terry

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gun show rifle that I traded for. Metal was that way when it came less bottom metal. Am LH
and not excited about dropping a lot of money in
it. I like the the look of bead blast blue and
one of my boys will end up with the rifle.
Would prefer it in 7 X 57 but bore is sound chamber is ok and seems to have potential.

kk alaska

KK

That is a nice rifle and if I was one of your sons I would be proud to carry it. Is that a Leupold 3X on it?

Thanks for posting pictures of the finished product.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey I was never offended, its just a tool to take hunting. I recently changed the bottom metal on my LH Win 70 9.3 X 62 to a MRC metal
used the stock follower & mag box. Would not feed at all had to use a Mauser 98 follower to make it work. What I am trying to say is function is more important to me than how it looks. And IMHO the bottom metal on my Mex looks fine.

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it was in bad taste on my part well, I'm so sorry but I've already done it so I guess it's spilled milk.

Terry

I didn't think you did anything that was in bad taste.

My only problem was that someone who pointed out something they didn't like about the rifle. And it just so happens that he is trying to sell(and has been for some months) the upgrade he recommends.

It is a finished rifle. No need to make criticisms. If he had said "It needs one of the bottom metals assemblies I am selling," I would have had no problem as we would understand the intent. Instead he wrote:

quote:

That was the entire post! it reminds me of something that shootaway would post.
Roll Eyes

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
it reminds me of something that shootaway would post.

Now that was a low blow! rotflmo

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote