THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Synthetic Stock for Springfield 1903?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, I think you fellows have identified the problem for me, now help me figure out what to do about it.

The rifle currently has a "sporterized" military stock (not completely finished and apparently done by an unemployed lumberjack with borrowed tools); otherwise it is as-issued with the military barrel and rear sight collar.

It's the rear sight collar that's causing it not to fit even a little bit into a synthetic stock for an '03A3 (a Ramline Syn-Tec) and given the amount of plastic I'd have to remove to make it fit and the thickness (thin-ness?) of the stock at that point I'm hesitant to try hogging it on out. Is it possible to remove the rear sight collar and what's involved?

Thanks again. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by rick0311....
But then again...I don't own any '03A3's...just '03's.

Heh Heh....

Then you're really spoiled, Rick.

The 1903's are quite pretty in comparison to some of the 1903A3's. Some of the latter A3's are very coarse.

I added a couple of links in my previous post to better illustrate the differences in the cutoff molding.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only difference I have ever noticed is that the "groove" where the cutt off spindle head rides is absent on the '03A3's. Never really noticed that the inletting of wood needed to be different though. But then again...I don't own any '03A3's...just '03's.

See, you learn something new everyday!

Thanks,

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote