New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 1891 Argentine Mauser, and I would like to rebarrel it to say 250 Savage or 300 Savage. Also looking at making a single shot with the same set up. any input would help along with all the suggestions, thanks..

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
What do you need to know? I just finished mine in .220 Swift
Check this out 1891 Argentine

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir for your reply and complete article on the rebuild, it is outstanding..

I was wanting to build a 308 by 1 1/2 or a 30-30. My idea is to build a rifle just exactly like your but a single shot only...I want to shoot cast bullets and my range would not exceed 200 yds. Hve thought very seriously about a 358 Winchester for this as I shoot cast bullets in this caliber only...

where did you get your stock and what did it cost, thats what I want on my rifle...help.

So you know, I am handicapped and time is no problem...I have lots of time and I build my own equipment as well as knives, archery supplies, fishing tackle and leather goods.

The stock is my concern right now,....thanks

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry's build is awesome!

FYI the Swift case provides ~9% less bolt thrust than the other '06-head-size cartridges at the same pressure. The reason is the smaller-diameter powder chamber; the powder chamber ID is the determining thrust factor, not the rim OD.

Here's another view of what can be done with the 1891 Argentine action. This particular one is chambered in 223 Rem and has had the striker assembly converted to upcock by using 1895 and 1898 components. The flush magazine floorplate is from a 1909 Argy, salvaged when using a straddle on another rifle and then adapted to the 1891 trigger guard.

I'll bet that your friendly local custom smith has at least one of these salvaged-when-replaced 1909 floorplates in his parts box.....
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jebb45:
Thank you Sir for your reply and complete article on the rebuild, it is outstanding..

I was wanting to build a 308 by 1 1/2 or a 30-30. My idea is to build a rifle just exactly like your but a single shot only...I want to shoot cast bullets and my range would not exceed 200 yds. Have thought very seriously about a 358 Winchester for this as I shoot cast bullets in this caliber only...

30-30 would be fine. 300 savage would be good as well. I can't recommend the .358 as it is above the upper limit of this action with a full bore .308 case. so your bolt thrust will be higher.. 7X57mm is a great cartridge. as is 8X57mm. The action is on the soft side so you really cant over do it or you'll have lug set back. In all honesty trying to get that .220 swift to feed is a royal pain. My rifle may just become a single shot soon. and that being the case I may just start all over and go .300 savage or 7x57mm.
quote:

where did you get your stock and what did it cost, thats what I want on my rifle...help.

Found someone here that had two actually but one had a very bad oil stain and the stock that is on my rifle is the better of the two as far as condition goes. It's a Ricks micro fit now I've heard good an bad from those guys I've never ordered a stock but they are just about the only game in town so to speak. Slow as hell from what everyone says. and they screw up orders too.
quote:

So you know, I am handicapped and time is no problem...I have lots of time and I build my own equipment as well as knives, archery supplies, fishing tackle and leather goods.

The stock is my concern right now,....thanks

Well if you find a stock that will be step one. Then if you want to get rid of that nasty trigger let me know I have a trick up my sleeve. You can use a Timney and just file of the 98 mount and drill and tap as I did mine. the problem is getting the right 98 trigger to fit the guard.
Yeah that old 91 of mine was a $175 complete rifle in 1990 and now with all the extra crap I've done to it. I've got close to $600 into it with double that in my own labor. And it's still only worth $250 if I'm lucky. Seven years older then the most popular rifle around and not worth a lick to anyone.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for all the work you have done, and what it will take to rebuild mine, I think I will just leave it original and shoot cast bullets out of it. I will just cut down 30-06 brass and enjoy it that way, thanks for all the help.....jebb45

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
There are more then a few places to jet good 7.65X53mm ammo. Norma is one. I'd at least rebarrel it to 7X57mm, ammo is much easier to find. A&B barrels at midway are cheep and decent for the price. Don't expect much but it will shoot and shoot good all things being equal

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, you could do something like this:

Graf and Sons has 7.65x53 ammo from Hornady and Prvi Partisan.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys....
All the info is great, but a barrel from Midway will be 80-90 bucks and install around here will cost 150-175 bucks, still put conversion up toas much as 265.00 and I can shoot alot of cast bullets for a lot less, so I will leave it in the orignal form and just blast away.

Thanks Guys...
jebb45

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post

7.65x53

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I know my rifle was more accurate with cast reloads then anything. It was still pretty accurate with 1978 mil surp ammo. I just wanted something that was easier to find ammo for.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
could consider 9x57, with a.358 barrel, and run at those loads -- not suggesting this, just a consideration

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote