Find
Notify
Tools

Case Color/Hardening
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
On a bolt action rifle what parts have you have colored? I really want to have some of the action part colored such as the bolt/safety shroud, but I want to know or see what your experiences are.

Any ideas of pictures are welcome. The rest of the gun will be blued with some engraving and stippling on the metal surfaces.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like just the reciever colored, rest rust blued. IMHO it is like engraving a little goes a long way, no matter how well done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Might want to check in with Doug Turnbull Restoration firm for info on color casehardening projects. They are about as good as it gets these days and believe they will discourage doing the entire receiver due to warpage, distortion, etc. Have had bolt shroud and scope rings done by them and work is very nice. Good people and will give good advise.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I vote for the shroud. I feel the action is too much. Maybe the rings. To me Case hardening is like engraving. "Less is more"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't think doing the action is too much, I think it looks frickin' fantastic. I think that Turnbull will only do certain actions, because it will warp them. I saw a 505 Gibbs on a Granite Mountain IIRC that they color cased and was built by Jerry Fisher. 26" barrel, gorgeous wood.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of pics I took at Jeffeosos a while back, he may be able to put you in touch with the guys.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shroud/guard/rings has always been attractive to me.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff, haven't seen you in awhile..

some local smiths did these actions, not me..

they both looked better in person, but the rolling block was NICE

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
The RB definitely looks better than the Rem. A bit odd looking on a tube, I guess. If I polished a double receiver, stripped it meself, how much do these guys charge??

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
XS,
I just don't know.. Larry Lindstrom, 281 328 3272
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I've got a Cooper Western Classic in K-Hornet. It has the receiver, trigger guard, rings and skeleton grip cap case colored. Looks fantastic with the octagonal barrel.

I've been talking with Bill (Soverns) about case coloring a G33/40 he has of mine. It is supposed to be one of his guild project rifles. It has a hollowed out pimped up bolt handle, custom bases for Conetrol rings.

I'm also tempted to have a rib, barrel band and hooded sight put on it as well. But it's only a 270- still tempted to nggr it up though.

It'd be a helluva project though for Bill to showcase his work for the guild though. Whatta y'all think?

Sorry to bust your balls Bill, had to do it.............off hunting tommorrow.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Sounds damned good to me! I am thinking about the bolt shroud, rings, and..................

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might add grip cap and butt plate to the list. But again, as someone else said, less is more.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I agree with the grip cap and buttplate, but will they move in the treatment and not fit the stock correctly when I get them back?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider having the bottom metal case-colored, but have the magazine door & release latch rust-blued. If it's just a trigger guard & blind magazine then have the trigger guard case-colored.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Pretty, but all abit much for me. I prefer this:
WRM98 http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=...psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Yes, just a plain Rust,deepHot or CharcoalBlack blue with colorcased shroud, or crossbolt, or plate release, or cockpiece, or infact nothing at all, just impecable metal prep and top notch blue.

AND LETS NOT FORGET TC1s' recently finished 9.3x62:

MORE PHOTOS; https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=9411043&m=138105545

And while Ive got your attention heres some color from the USS Missouri.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
And while Ive got your attention heres some color from the USS Missouri.

Now that is a big bore!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is a triggerguard I had done. I like how it accents the english red.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote