New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tang safety Ruger and Hawkeye.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will the Hawkeye fit a tang safety Ruger?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mark II should drop into a Hawkeye or nearly so. I'm told the tang safety action can be fitted into the Hawkeye stock. It won't be a drop in. As I understand it, you will need some glass bedding and some chiseling as you would with a Mk II stock. I haven't done one of these yet, so my comments are only based on what I have read, not actual experience. I'm impressed with the feel of the Hawkeye stock. Marrying the tang safety with that stock should make a pretty wonderful field gun.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in a word, no ..
could you fit a tang safety action into a hawkeye/mkII stock .. yeah.. gap where the 3 pos went, not much to fill...

hawkeye action into a tang safety stock? yes, gaps (ugly) where the tang was...

the stocks are VERY close, externally ... rumor is designed by leo. brownell

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah, I have done this; I put my tang safety 257 Roberts into a paddle MkII stock. Need to mill out a slot for the tang, and the floorplate and mag box is different so had to buy that. End up with gaps to the rear of the receiver where the safety is; I left those gaps alone but it would be easy to fill. Bottom line, don't do it. Other way around? Definitely no. If you want a slimmer stock like the Hawkeye, get out your rasp and plane and go to work on it. Actually, the difference in an early tang safety, and a Hawkeye is quite a lot all over. Every dimension is bigger on the early ones. Note the purple receiver on my old 257.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote