Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the difference between.....
 Login/Join

posted
Can anybody explian the important difference between the current production Brno 550 actions and the classic M98 action as far as a DGR goes?

Also what is the current relationship between CZ and Brno?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Pete,

I think the important difference is that the Magnum CZ550s have a 3.65 inch magazine well from the factory. You have to remove a lot of metal to get the M98 that long.

IIRC the new 550s also have a "normal" M70 swing safety, while the BRNOs were reversed.

I think that the current CZ and the old BRNO rifles are effectively from the same company, but I could not swear to that. Both are plenty strong.

Maybe somebody has the straight poop?

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

From the CZ website

"After WWII all the Firearms manufacturers were managed by a single central agency which required that "Any firearm exported will bare the BRNO markings", this is why there are a great deal of CZ Uhersky Brod firearms with BRNO markings."

http://www.cz-usa.com/_p/p32.php

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Brno has different product lines than CZ which leads me to believe that they are now separate companies.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

I'm almost certain you won't find any newly made firearm called a brno. They're all cz now. If there is another co. called brno I don't think they're still making firearms.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
George,

I'm almost certain you won't find any newly made firearm called a brno. They're all cz now. If there is another co. called brno I don't think they're still making firearms.

There is an article in a recent issue of "American Rifleman" about the "CZ American" rifles. It states that indeed there is also a BRNO factory in the vicinity of the CZ factory, so there are indeed BRNO firearms being produced, if memory serves me correctly. I don't have that article before me at this time. Perhaps someone that has this issue in hand can elaborate.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a search and found this. http://www.zbrojovka.com/a_arms.htm

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stu,
I picked up a new Brno ZKM-611 .22WMR in 1999. They may not have been imported into the U.S. for the last couple of years, but Brnos are being produced.

Perhaps it is a licensing issue (like Taurus and Beretta).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 01-16-2002).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
If you gents want the Brno rifles you'd better hurry. George at Euro-Imports told me the company was bought out and parts were then sold off quietly. He expects the company to go under any time and this was last November I spoke with him. He was pretty bitter about it. I bought my wifes 7x57 Brno from him. They use a vz-24 action that is all slicked up. A nice little rifle. His email is:
mrbrno@yahoo.com

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well you learn something new...

customstox, thanks for the link

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ijust copied this from the America Hunting Rifles site....Mike

Q. What does CZ stand for?
A. 'Ceska Zbrojovka'!, it means, 'Czech weapons factory'!

Q. What about Brno rifles?
A. Brno is another factory in the Czech Republic. During the occupation of Czechoslovakia by the Soviet Union, all firearms that were exported were called Brno's, regardless of who made them, but most firearms called Brno were made by CZ.

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.czub.cz/

http://www.zbrojovka.com/

For bolts i think Brno remakes Mauser actions. CZ makes a new action with Mauser features ( have one ). But I also have a S/S shotgun with Purdey action and sidelocks, which I think was made Brno??

Thats with Brno sold is new to me. Any hints who bought it? Might be better or worse ...

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The township of Brno refused to let CZ maintain the Brno name and mark as they felt the quality was not there, and so it came to pass, and rightfully so..The CZ is a decent rifle not doubt but it is no Brno as far as workmanship goes...the above was a court settlement by agreement of both parties, so the Brno segment etc. was dropped by CZ.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote