Find
Notify
Tools

Few last minute details...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted
My 500AR project is well underway and quickly approaching the time when I need to make some decisions.

As of right now I just mainly have a bunch of parts that will be used in the build. All have been sent to the smith and the barrel will be made soon enough.

Action is a Mauser 98 VZ24 chambered in a 300 Win mag. Action has some minor work done to ti already like a bent over bolt handle for scope clearance. and a set of drilled and tapped holes for scope mounting. Im probably going to bore these smaller holes out to a little large diameter just to be safe.

Anyways, I know for a fact I want to reblue the barreled action to one nice uniform color. Probably end up with a Matte style finish. Also going to installed a Dakatoa 3-position safety and a Timney trigger.

Now, Im wondering if I should just stop there with the action? What should I have the smith do after he gets the barrel ready to go on the action? I hear things like crowning and squaring the action. Blah blah blah, im new to this whole building deal and want to do it right, but I dont want to break the bank at the same time. This will be a working rifle, not a safe queen or showpiece. it will be used in the wilderness alot and will shoot at animals often.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
crown, feeding, and headspace should be part of installing the barrel ... squaring the action is a preference, and, in MY OPINION, a properly intalled mauser barrel doesn't touch the front ring (other's disagree, and that's great, too)

you can ask the scope bases increased, i didn't bother with any of mine.

i would replace the trigger, polish the bolt ways, bead blast the whole thing, and have it hot blued, end to end .. which is to say, that's what i do when i make my own.

you could, of course, use any of the various coating methods .. duracoat and others.. are ALL paint, and i think they can look fine, and can be field touched up.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Hot blueing the barreled action has been on the list of must do from day one. My M98 action is in good shape but the blueing has just become worn after time. Plus im picky about some things, and one of them the rifle must look proper in appearance. So having the action and barrel the same color is a must in my book.

I just was not sure about any other little things I should do to this rifle. I want it to function flawless...Eventually it will be complimented with the Turkish Walnut blank I have. But that is a ways down the road.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote